Sign in to follow this  

Linksys Router issue

Morning all, hoping one of you might be able to help me with this one!

I currently have a BT homehub. My wife works from home and the homehub is no longer compatible with her jobs mainframe system. They advised her to buy a Linksys Wireless G Router.

I've got it and set up the cabling and put the installation disc in but keep getting the message 'Ethernet cable not connected'.

I've looked at the network connection and the router is connecting fine to the PC just not the internet.

I've scrapped using the installation disc and I've used the routers IP address to set up the ISP address. I've dropped ALL firewalls to see if it is that.

Now I'm wondering if it is because the router has to be plugged into the homehub for the Modem facility? I'm not the most tech minded person but have really tried with this one and just hoped there is someone out there who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks All. :thumbsup:

Using the installation disk isn't really worth it, if your connecting via ethernet (which you should ALWAYS do for the initial setup) you would go to http://192.168.1.1 - log in using username admin and password admin, then set up the router wireless options from there, once setup and saved, you can use the wireless.

Secondly, if you purchased the correct LinkSYS router (ADSL), you should not need it plugged into the home hub to work, it should just plug straight into the phone line, but you will loose all functionality of the extra hub features.

if you purchased a 'cable' (ethernet) LinkSYS then yes, plug it into the home hub into the yelllow socket on the linksys then set it up.

end note:

Installation disks never work right, I don't think I have ever seen one work and I always advise using the routers IP.

so, firstly

What's the model of the router? then we can see if its a cable or DSL router, and then advise from there.

Thanks Ghozer. I agree the discs are a waste of time. I'd tried all that with no luck.

I got an Online Linksys tech guy to have a look and they say it is actually the phoneline that is not compatible!

So its gone back to the shop for a refund, shame I can't get a refund on the four days i've wasted trying to set it up!!!!

Thanks again.

Its doubtful its the phone line, it was probably a cable router you purchsed, not a DSL one.