Best route to Manchester airport via motorway

Planes are often delayed by up to 2 hours. So unless you book the ticket to be 2-3 hours after you land, its a risk.

That has happened to me a few times. You need to take your boarding pass to the ticket office at the airport station and they check the delay on their computer. They will issue a new train ticket for flights delayed up to 3 hours; after that you have to buy a new (expensive) ticket and claim from your travel insurance. I have had a new ticket issued even when my baggage was delayed rather than the flight itself!

If I know that my flight is going to be very delayed at the airport of origin, I will buy a new train ticket online to save having to buy a new one at the airport.

If people can't drive the snake without getting scared they shouldn't really be driving at all. Time for a bus pass.

If people can't drive the snake without getting scared they shouldn't really be driving at all. Time for a bus pass.

My mother is a good driver but she is not used to that type of landscape and prefers to not drive something like snake. She grew up with a different style countryside roads.

Why should she get a bus pass?

The station is in the airport! T1 and T2 are less than 5 mins walk but T3 is 10-15 mins. Tickets are variable in price but seem cheap enough to me.

Thanks Pete, I'll look into this further. :)

Thanks Pete, I'll look into this further. :)

You can get the express from Sheffield to Manchester which continues to the Airport. It's a nice journey providing you have booked a seat.

It wasn't the fact of being scared of snakes pass, it was the fact that I hadn't been down in daylight, so was wary about going down it at night.

I ended up going this way after there were too many diversions and road closed anyway.

I do understand why people don't like it, there's some right morons about.

Just used the new A555 Manchester Airport to Hazel Grove road which opened last Monday.

Slightly further for me by about 2 miles but no time saving over the Pott Shrigley route. The distance from the new A555/A6 junction to the northern end of the Chapel bypass is approx 6.2 miles but it took me 20 minutes- Wed night c 6pm ish. Just a crawl thru’ Disley, Newtown,Furness Vale etc. Obviously great if you live in or near to Hazel Grove but not too sure for the rest of us. May use it in the Winter as the Pott Shrigley route is a bit exposed.

I always drive the route (over Woodhead) to Manchester Airport, but would be interested in going by train from Sheffield. Can someone tell me approx ticket cost, and how close to the airport does the train go?
I've heard there's some software called Google. People tell me it's very useful. Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a copy please?

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 07:47 ----------

That has happened to me a few times. You need to take your boarding pass to the ticket office at the airport station and they check the delay on their computer. They will issue a new train ticket for flights delayed up to 3 hours; after that you have to buy a new (expensive) ticket and claim from your travel insurance. I have had a new ticket issued even when my baggage was delayed rather than the flight itself!

If I know that my flight is going to be very delayed at the airport of origin, I will buy a new train ticket online to save having to buy a new one at the airport.

...or just buy an open return. It'll be a few quid extra but if you can afford to fly in the first place, you can afford it. No hassle or faffing around at all and they're good for a month.

The grief some people go through to save a few quid, honestly!

Just bumping this thread up for anyone going to Manchester airport

Went this morning via the Chapel Bypass then the A6 at approx 8-45 ish

The six miles or so took me an hour- lucky not to miss my flight.

Avoid at all costs this bit of the A6 during the rush hour.

The A555, once you’re on it, is a dream.

(back to Pott Shrigley etc for me next time )

On 10/26/2018 at 7:42 AM, Weredoomed said:

I've heard there's some software called Google. People tell me it's very useful. Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a copy please?

---------- Post added 26-10-2018 at 07:47 ----------

...or just buy an open return. It'll be a few quid extra but if you can afford to fly in the first place, you can afford it. No hassle or faffing around at all and they're good for a month.

The grief some people go through to save a few quid, honestly!

Open ticket means no allocated seat though.  It's not just the cost is it.

5 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Open ticket means no allocated seat though.  It's not just the cost is it.

With an "Open" ticket you can still reserve a seat for the  anticipated time or rely on the fact that as it starts from the Airport you have plenty of time to find a non- reserved seat, a reserved not reserved for your portion of the journey or an unused reserved seat.

Seats can be reserved after the purchase of the ticket.

If travelling from/to other places in South Yorkshire by bus or tram the PlusBus option may reduce your total fare.

Those northern trains are funny, they are really old ancient, outdated, for a country that claims to be on the top, it reminds me of journeys I made in India long time ago.

We are driving to M A next week, meet and greet parking. Last time we took motorway because of intense mist over the pennines but prefer more direct routes.