Breaking: Bill to kill net neutrality for good!

Disaster for net neutrality (Supreme Court)

Brett Kavanaugh has been announced as the Supreme Court nominee, and it’s a disaster for net neutrality.

Kavanaugh has openly said he wants to make net neutrality illegal. He has a frightening track record when it comes to Internet freedom and civil liberties.

But we can stop him. If every senator who supports net neutrality votes against Kavanaugh, we will stop him with votes to spare.

Brett Kavanaugh must be stopped or net neutrality could be doomed. We’re launching an emergency campaign to convince the Senate to reject him. Will you make a donation?

Brett Kavanaugh’s opposition to net neutrality is based on a twisted interpretation of the First Amendment. According to Kavanaugh, ISPs are like newspaper editors, empowered to decide what speech is suitable to share and what isn’t.

This, simply put, is nuts. It’s like saying the electric utility can decide what we can plug in and what we can’t. And under Kavanaugh’s theory, it doesn’t matter what Congress or the President or even the voters think. Any version of net neutrality could be thrown out by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional.

We’ve fought for years to save the free and open Internet, and didn’t come this far to let the Supreme Court throw it out.

To stop Kavanaugh, we need to do exactly what we did to get that “one last vote” to restore net neutrality. We’ll mobilize the coalition of free-thinking libertarians and progressives, small businesses, and other net neutrality supporters. We’ll flood undecided Senate offices with phone calls. We’ll use the Internet to save the Internet by making sure people know what’s at stake and how they can take effective action to win.

We can win this fight. There are 52 senators on the record in support of restoring net neutrality. We only need 50 votes to stop Kavanaugh’s confirmation. But we need to start now.

Will you chip in to help launch an emergency campaign to stop a judge who hates net neutrality from joining the Supreme Court?

For our rights,

Sarah at FFTF

Fight for the Future works to protect your rights in the digital age.

Click here to learn more

Donate $3 to keep us going

Click here to receive fewer emails from us

PO Box 55071 #95005 Boston, MA 02205

Why do you insist on this copy and paste rubbish - you even leave in links which are removed during the pasting - nobody cares.

Mod Note

Please do not just cut and paste huge chunks of text. If you have an opinion on an issue we expect you to express it not just to cut and paste from elsewhere.

Why do you insist on this copy and paste rubbish - you even leave in links which are removed during the pasting - nobody cares.

Many apologies. The joy of a smart phone and I had copied into wps memo first to get rid of all the links and was in hospital visiting at time. The family member I had mentioned in an earlier post had been in Critical care for almost a week and intubated so please accept my apology. As you can see force's outside of the UK will have a disastrous affect on the whole Internet. I am trying to get back to some form of normality.

If you have relatives in the US please pass on the information to lobby Congress.

Many apologies. The joy of a smart phone and I had copied into wps memo first to get rid of all the links and was in hospital visiting at time. The family member I had mentioned in an earlier post had been in Critical care for almost a week and intubated so please accept my apology. As you can see force's outside of the UK will have a disastrous affect on the whole Internet. I am trying to get back to some form of normality.

If you have relatives in the US please pass on the information to lobby Congress.

You know it doesn't affect us one iota right? The EU has its own net neutrality laws.

I think you are misunderstanding the implications so this article should clear things up for you:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/23/16693840/net-neutrality-us-fcc-global-effect

You haven't read that article have you?

Is the EU made up of developing nations? The article states at the very beginning that it doesn't affect countries like France or Holland as examples.

Now stop talking rubbish please. Thanks.

So you ignored the bit about Netflix balancing its books? :P

Explain to me how Netflix increasing its prices is going to affect net neutrality in the EU :loopy::huh:

How is netflix incerasing its prices suddenly going to tier my internet speeds in the UK?

Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about?

Another advert for specsavers methinks.

OK, net neutrality ends in US - if you want Netflix you will need to pay extra for fast blur free connection. Customer base drops in US affecting Netflix profitability. Solution? Make up the difference by charging UK/European customers for the drop-off in the US Market. ;)

And it only take time for a change in Administration this side of the pond to think differently. In any event as someone who thinks globally we should be standing up to any threat to net neutrality, just as Tim Berners-Lee has done.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/15/tim-berners-lee-world-wide-web-net-neutrality

Edited by swarfendor43

Another advert for specsavers methinks.

OK, net neutrality ends in US - if you want Netflix you will need to pay extra for fast blur free connection. Customer base drops in US affecting Netflix profitability. Solution? Make up the difference by charging UK/European customers for the drop-off in the US Market. ;)

And it only take time for a change in Administration this side of the pond to think differently. In any event as someone who thinks globally we should be standing up to any threat to net neutrality, just as Tim Berners-Lee has done.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/nov/15/tim-berners-lee-world-wide-web-net-neutrality

You still haven't explained how Netflix putting up their prices will tier my bandwidth.

A service increasing its prices that you always had to pay for isn't fundamentally affecting net neutrality. Netflix increasing their prices doesn't mean that my streaming to to say YouTube will be affected for example. It is the ISP that affect net neutrality as they can prioritise bandwidth to however they want. This is what the EU prevents the ISP from doing.

Using your example, Netflix can charge whatever they want, but they can ONLY affect their OWN service. This isn't a net neutrality issue.

You need to read up on this as your understanding on the matter isn't right at all.