Hoskins chip shop shiregreen

Does anyone remember Hoskins chipshop on Bellhouse Rd opposite The Horseshoe and is there still a chip shop there????...During the 2nd world war and for sometime after I used to see huge queues of people sometimes 150 yds long from the shop counter up the road and round the bend and up to just opposite Concord Park gates...must have been good chips in those days.

When I was at Hatfield House Lane School (which became Firth Park Comprehensive School during my time there) in the late sixties/early seventies, we would often go to Hoskins for lunch which consisted of half-a-loaf from the shop next door, hollowed out, and then you'd take it to Hoskin's and they'd fill it up with chips.

This culinary delight was known as 'chips and a cob'.

Hoskins was the only chip-shop I can recall that did crinkle cut chips: and very nice they were too.

When we had had our 'meal' we would descend upon Lister's at the top of Shiregreen lane and each purchase a cigarette and a match for one pence.

Lovely stuff.

Yes, happy memories, a lot of us from Shiregreen Sec Mod went their at dinner time, the pavement was covered with the middle of the bread that had been thrown away, the birds were never hungry there. Sadly, Hoskins is long gone.

When I was ten in 1949 hoskins chip shop closed for a week due to the death of the old Mr Hoskins..The shop reopened and went back into business under the managment of the eldest son Eric..I remember he had a younger sister called Roberta..Eric was a very popular person with a great personality...I remember when Sheffield was hit by a great wind storm in 1960 The shop was wrecked and all the front of the shop was blown in...Eric always could see the Humorous side of things and he just placed a big billboard on the front of the shop..it read "YOU'VE HAD YOUR CHIPS" .

I certainly remember the gale in 1960, I was living on Crowland Rd, it brough the chimmney down which crashed thro the roof and landed on my bed, luckily, not occupied. I managed to get to work ( Sharmans on Glossop Rd) and in the late morning, a slate was whipped off the roof across and smashed the shop window. Sheffield city centre looked like the blitz, I know it did thousands of pundsworth of damage.

i think its now a chinese called jade house its quite nice!

Does anyone remember Hoskins chipshop on Bellhouse Rd opposite The Horseshoe and is there still a chip shop there????...During the 2nd world war and for sometime after I used to see huge queues of people sometimes 150 yds long from the shop counter up the road and round the bend and up to just opposite Concord Park gates...must have been good chips in those days.

Hi,TIMBUCK i am new to the forum, so im going back a few years regarding HOSKINS chip shop. We lived at 308 BELLHOUSE, SAME SIDE AS THE CHIPSHOP,FIRST HOUSE THE OTHER SIDE OF SHIREGREEN LANE,next to MRS.HARDWICKS, ladies and childrens clothes.there were four shops there.next to the horseshoe, there was a brick built air raid shelter and a huge in ground water tank.the day the war ended we had a big bonfire beside the shelter.HOSKINS SON (ERIC) I THINK?,came over and shouted you need more firewood, and promtly grabbed hold of the wooden railings around the water tank, ripped them out and threw them on the bonfire, to everyones cheering.he was in his navy uniform and must have weighed around 16 to 18 stones. happy memories, eightlegger.

Hi,TIMBUCK i am new to the forum, so im going back a few years regarding HOSKINS chip shop. We lived at 308 BELLHOUSE, SAME SIDE AS THE CHIPSHOP,FIRST HOUSE THE OTHER SIDE OF SHIREGREEN LANE,next to MRS.HARDWICKS, ladies and childrens clothes.there were four shops there.next to the horseshoe, there was a brick built air raid shelter and a huge in ground water tank.the day the war ended we had a big bonfire beside the shelter.HOSKINS SON (ERIC) I THINK?,came over and shouted you need more firewood, and promtly grabbed hold of the wooden railings around the water tank, ripped them out and threw them on the bonfire, to everyones cheering.he was in his navy uniform and must have weighed around 16 to 18 stones. happy memories, eightlegger.p s i was nine years old at the time

Hi,TIMBUCK i am new to the forum, so im going back a few years regarding HOSKINS chip shop. We lived at 308 BELLHOUSE, SAME SIDE AS THE CHIPSHOP,FIRST HOUSE THE OTHER SIDE OF SHIREGREEN LANE,next to MRS.HARDWICKS, ladies and childrens clothes.there were four shops there.next to the horseshoe, there was a brick built air raid shelter and a huge in ground water tank.the day the war ended we had a big bonfire beside the shelter.HOSKINS SON (ERIC) I THINK?,came over and shouted you need more firewood, and promtly grabbed hold of the wooden railings around the water tank, ripped them out and threw them on the bonfire, to everyones cheering.he was in his navy uniform and must have weighed around 16 to 18 stones. happy memories, eightlegger.

Hiya Eightlegger, the man you recall was my uncle, Royce Hoskings, not quite as heavy as you think but a great bloke. PM me an email address and I will send you a photo of him in that uniform. :)

His dads name was Edwin, I think that this is where the "ERIC" bit come from.

Edited by shaunfl

Hiya Eightlegger, the man you recall was my uncle, Royce Hoskings, not quite as heavy as you think but a great bloke. PM me an email address and I will send you a photo of him in that uniform. :)

His dads name was Edwin, I think that this is where the "ERIC" bit come from.

hi shaunfl,great to hear from you , i have read some of stuff on the forum, very enjoyable. anyhow my e mail is sooty4@shaw.c.a. bye for now from langley.b.c. canada.

I remember Hoskins chip shop from the 40s and 50s and recall the glamour girl calendar he had pinned up. Also the figures from these calendars were later cut out and used to decorate the tiles round the shop. I used to think they were so glamorous (Rita Hayworth style). I lived on Bellhouse Rd

That last message was from me and not Phil Murray who hadn't logged out!