Settling an argument! Winstons.

My husband used to shop in the 60s at Winstons on Snig Hill. He says after it was demolished the shop moved further down the hill opposite the now Law Courts? Can anyone remember?

winstons moved from snig hill to waingate (left-hand side going down) just above ladys bridge.

I bought a jacket from winstons in the early 70s (I think) they were located top of haymarket, few shops up from the Brunswick. think it is (or was) a mc,donalds/ burger king now. could be one for Hillsboro this.

... could be one for Hillsboro this.
I'm afraid I can't help here. I've looked in Kelly's directories for the early 1970s (the last one published was for 1974) and Winstons isn't listed for West Bar, Waingate or Haymarket. The last directory showing Winstons at 55-57 Snig Hill is that of 1971 (compiled in 1970).

I'm afraid I can't help here. I've looked in Kelly's directories for the early 1970s (the last one published was for 1974) and Winstons isn't listed for West Bar, Waingate or Haymarket. The last directory showing Winstons at 55-57 Snig Hill is that of 1971 (compiled in 1970).

Winston's had also a shop on Spital Hill at the same time as the Snig Hill one. The shop on Waingate which was similar to Winston's was Colvin's.

Your fired!

Winston's had also a shop on Spital Hill at the same time as the Snig Hill one. The shop on Waingate which was similar to Winston's was Colvin's.

I remember Colvins but cannot recall Winston's. Tramps on King Street and Bunny's on Exchange Strreet next to the Berni Inn.

Thats a first :hihi:
I know - I'll never live it down. :? I did actually find "Leslie Winston" at 20 Spital Hill and "J. Colvin, outfitter" 17 Waingate but drew a blank with the other locations. But I was never a snazzy dresser. :P

I can confirm with no doubt that win stones was at the bottom of sing hill in august of 1970 . I know this because I bought a levi denim jacket with my first wage . You don't forget things like that . I was 15 then and the jacket cost £4 15 shillings. As for moving round the corner to opposite the courts I think that's a no . Only shop I remember there sold air rifles think it was turners.

I can confirm with no doubt that win stones was at the bottom of sing hill in august of 1970 . I know this because I bought a levi denim jacket with my first wage . You don't forget things like that . I was 15 then and the jacket cost £4 15 shillings. As for moving round the corner to opposite the courts I think that's a no . Only shop I remember there sold air rifles think it was turners.

Turner's sold guns (real ones) but you just couldn't walk in there and buy one.

There was definitely a Winstons on Snig Hill, about 50 yards up on the right hand side. I am not sure, but I think there was one on the corner of St Philips Road/Meadow Street. My wife bought me her first gift to me there, a powder blue sweater. That would have been around 1957.