PS2 disc reading problem

is there anyone on here with any experience in ps2's with hard drives and an exploited memory card?

I have a fat ps2. the model number is SCPH-39003

now i have bought a network adaptor off ebay that has been modified from IDE to SATA so i can fit an internal 3.5" sata hdd and it came with a memory card that has free mcboot on it. anyone who knows what this is will know it allows you to use your ps2 as if it is chipped.

now before anyone goes on about how pirating is illegal, let me get it straight that i got this so i can rip and back up my badly scratched ps2 collection to the internal hdd and don't plan on downloading games off the net as i like originality.

the problem is, i was backing up games and all was fine. until 6 or so games later whilst trying to install it would say it is going to take such and such amount of days and would not even reach 1%. i then rebooted the ps2 and attempted to play the disc. it would go to the playstation 2 splash screen and then go black and won't load the games. so i took out the memory card with free mcboot on and started the ps2 up in the normal dashboard and tried the game that way. again same thing happens.

i then decided to remove the hard drive/network adaptor. tried again and the game play fine with no crashing or black screens. so i rebooted the ps2 with the mcboot memory card in, got to the mcboot dashboard and loaded the game absolutely fine.

so i tried a different hard drive and it still has the same problem. so now i don't know if it is the adaptor or not as you can hear the hdd spin up then power down repeatedly whilst trying to play a disc.

i can get it to install my games to the hard drive if i load up the Hard Drive Loader app, wait to hear the hard drive spin and then insert the disc and begin installing.

so does anybody have a clue what could be the issue?

would rather hear from people that has experience in modding ps2's.

sorry for the long and dragged out post by the way :hihi:

plug the HDD into your PC, go to Disk Manager (Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management)

If it shows in there (with, or without a drive letter, partition recognized or not) then the disk is 'working' (as far as being seen and identified, but I doubt windows will actually read the data on it)

-could also check via BIOS if it's detected-

at that point, I would be looking into the adapter...

If the drive DOESN'T show (in any way) then it's likely the drive is dead.

plug the HDD into your PC, go to Disk Manager (Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management)

If it shows in there (with, or without a drive letter, partition recognized or not) then the disk is 'working' (as far as being seen and identified, but I doubt windows will actually read the data on it)

-could also check via BIOS if it's detected-

at that point, I would be looking into the adapter...

If the drive DOESN'T show (in any way) then it's likely the drive is dead.

the hard drive is working fine as it is detected and working from the mcboot dashboard and I can run games from it.

like I mentioned, to rip a game I have to open the HDL app without a disc in and as soon as I hear the hard drive spin up I put the game disc in and I can then rip the game without a problem. it's just trying to play a game disc with the hdd still inside that is the problem.

it just doesn't want to play disc while ever the hard drive is attached.

Sounds like there's a conflict then, possibly between disk/drive controller?

not had much of a play with this stuff (had a little tinker years ago tho)

Will keep thinking :)

Sounds like there's a conflict then, possibly between disk/drive controller?

not had much of a play with this stuff (had a little tinker years ago tho)

Will keep thinking :)

it's either a fault with the network adaptor since it is modified to fit a Sata board. or there is some sort of software issue with an application on the memory card.

it's brilliant to be honest. like I mention, I can pop in a game and rip it straight to the hard drive and play it off that. I can put ISO's onto a USB drive and plug into ps2 and transfer to the hard drive. and I can also play copied games. no need for a chip.

Or you could just skip all that and use a USB HDD and something like ElfLoader, or VJoe 2 or something :)

It's probably problem with SATA to IDE adapter.

PS2 (phat version) was very picky about HDD that works with network adapter. I used to run setup like that with Maxtor and Western Digital IDE HDD. However, Seagate drive didn't work. I am not 100% sure, that SATA to IDE conversion is the problem, but I suggest that you try "pure IDE HDD". Like I sad, PS2 was very picky about drives that's works with network adapter. USB option lacks in compatibility and speed from what I can remember. (PS2 don't have USB 2.0, IIRC)

Last time I used that setup was back in 2008, so maybe there was some progress on exploits/usb software that I am not aware off.

Edited by Guest