Wondering about Kay Greswell

Just reading some of the threads on here about folks looking for old mates and I don't know why but this young lady's name came to mind.

I was a young lad of 17 at the time when I met Kay. She was a beautiful young girl, maybe 19 at that time. She drove a white Triumph Dolomite and came from Sandygate area near Crosspool.

We went out with each other only for a few weeks - I think I was probably too young and immature for her in the end. But she was a very classy lady and I occasionally wonder what happened to her.

I'm happily married btw with a family so I'm not in looking to hook up at all, but I look back through my life and many of the acquaintances I've had and she always comes to mind as someone that was a bit special.

I hope she is well and has had as happy a life as I have had.

Just reading some of the threads on here about folks looking for old mates and I don't know why but this young lady's name came to mind.

I was a young lad of 17 at the time when I met Kay. She was a beautiful young girl, maybe 19 at that time. She drove a white Triumph Dolomite and came from Sandygate area near Crosspool.

We went out with each other only for a few weeks - I think I was probably too young and immature for her in the end. But she was a very classy lady and I occasionally wonder what happened to her.

I'm happily married btw with a family so I'm not in looking to hook up at all, but I look back through my life and many of the acquaintances I've had and she always comes to mind as someone that was a bit special.

I hope she is well and has had as happy a life as I have had.

Hey, I remember a girl of that name - and the surname is fairly unusual! Pretty sure the area is right as well. I think she was a year, maybe two, ahead of me at King Edward VII School - which she quite likely moved to after Crosspool. I am not in touch with her, so am not exactly helping your search, but fond memories. She was good looking and pleasant to talk with when I knew her, so that aligns with your recollections too!

Good luck with your search. Have you tried Facebook? Unfortunately, (one of) the problems with "women" is that they tend to change their surname on marriage.

Would she have left school in 1972?, if so, she is listed here

http://oldedwardians.org.uk/nlc/alumni/FrReu.html

Looks like that came from Friends Reunited, which I think shut down?

Although I didn't attend KES I can see two names of people who left in 1973 that went to the same junior school as me on Lowedges.

Always saw KES as a boys' grammar - so in 1969 when Sheffield went comprehensive which girls school did it merge with?

Are there lists like this available for all Sheffield schools?

Although I didn't attend KES I can see two names of people who left in 1973 that went to the same junior school as me on Lowedges.

Always saw KES as a boys' grammar - so in 1969 when Sheffield went comprehensive which girls school did it merge with?

Are there lists like this available for all Sheffield schools?

That year for Kay leaving sounds about right if she left after O-levels and I don't recall her during A-levels.

As for KES, you are right it was an all boys grammar school with last intake of 11plus boys in 1968. Instead of bringing in girls by merging with girls school opposite, they merged with Crosspool which was a mixed secondary modern. They left the boys to work their way through the school as part of making that site the senior school. They also brought in 12 girls (plus one later) into sixth form - a boys school with 12 girls introduced!!! Lots of interesting aspects to that.

I think they relented part way through so last boys were not the youngest for their whole school career but, until they finally left, it was heavily weighted to boys.

Thanks for the replies.

I think we are talking about the same girl here, TWhits. She was a lovely, fairly tall, blond girl, very nice looking. I remember waiting at the "threepenny bit" (John Menzies kiosk on platform A at Pond Street) to meet her. This dashing white Triumph Dolomite pulls up and she beckons me over. Wow! I can't tell you how good that felt to a young kid of 17. She was 2 years older than me.

We weren't together for very long tbh. Maybe only a few weeks. I can't remember why it ended now - it was never very serious in any case - but I've often looked back and thought of all the wonderful girls I've had a chance to meet and date and she was definitely one of them.

I had a PM which suggests she may have passed away a few years ago. The details seem to fit. If so then it's very sad because it looks like she passed away in 2004 - she would have only been 47.

I guess I can put this thought to bed now, but to anyone reading this who knew her, I hope I haven't caused anyone to feel upset and I hope, like me, you have fond memories to look back on. RIP.

Thanks for the replies.

I think we are talking about the same girl here, TWhits. She was a lovely, fairly tall, blond girl, very nice looking. I remember waiting at the "threepenny bit" (John Menzies kiosk on platform A at Pond Street) to meet her. This dashing white Triumph Dolomite pulls up and she beckons me over. Wow! I can't tell you how good that felt to a young kid of 17. She was 2 years older than me.

We weren't together for very long tbh. Maybe only a few weeks. I can't remember why it ended now - it was never very serious in any case - but I've often looked back and thought of all the wonderful girls I've had a chance to meet and date and she was definitely one of them.

I had a PM which suggests she may have passed away a few years ago. The details seem to fit. If so then it's very sad because it looks like she passed away in 2004 - she would have only been 47.

I guess I can put this thought to bed now, but to anyone reading this who knew her, I hope I haven't caused anyone to feel upset and I hope, like me, you have fond memories to look back on. RIP.

Thank you for the update DerbyTup and so sad that it seems she is no longer with us. I would have known her a few years before you, maybe she was 15 or 16yrs old, but your description seems to match the girl I knew.