Names of "houses" in Sheffield schools

Just going back to how bad Clumber were at sports. We couldn't even muster enough swimmers for the Friday night water polo matches. The goalkeeper was OK in the shallow end but was hanging on to the goal for dear life in the deep end. We gave bad a new meaning.

Ha ha Morts. I was in Lynwood and I thought we were rubbish at that time. I remember it as being Welbeck and Wentworth having the sportsmen. Pete Jepson, Dave Barraclough? I'm sure hillsboro will put me right. We shared the joy of Castle Dyke in winter back in the day.
Yes, Dave Barraclough was in Welbeck and a good footballer and swimmer. Pete Jepson was also very sporty (he captained the first XI at football) and I think was in Wentworth. Oh - Castle Dyke, one of the coldest places on earth, and if you hadn't changed in advance at Whiteley Woods there was the old shed to look forward to. :(

Just going back to how bad Clumber were at sports. We couldn't even muster enough swimmers for the Friday night water polo matches. The goalkeeper was OK in the shallow end but was hanging on to the goal for dear life in the deep end. We gave bad a new meaning.

Excellent I can just picture that goalie,but water polo on Friday night after school ?

Very true. No greater sight than 11 lads huddled together against the arctic blast with their hands down their shorts.

People think Thierry Henry was the first outfield player to wear gloves but actually it was some First Year wearing mittens up at Castle Dyke.

I reckon the Jepsons and Barracloughs would have been lording it down at Whiteley Woods whilst we were battling the elements

Very true. No greater sight than 11 lads huddled together against the arctic blast with their hands down their shorts.

People think Thierry Henry was the first outfield player to wear gloves but actually it was some First Year wearing mittens up at Castle Dyke.

I reckon the Jepsons and Barracloughs would have been lording it down at Whiteley Woods whilst we were battling the elements

Can't have been worse than Concord Park, on top of all you mentioned, all the pitches were on steep hills,if you were kicking uphill you needed extra oxygen, downhill you needed better ball control than Bobby Charlton lol :help:

Our first few games afternoons in first year were cancelled due to bad weather. They eventually decided we "had" to go and so I was introduced to Castle Dyke and to rugby. It was foggy and so not possible to see the posts. It had deep snow and so not possible to see the lines. It was freezing and raining / sleeting. The teacher gave me the ball and told me to aim to kick it out way down the far end of the pitch. Now, I didn't know the rules of rugby - after all, why should we, we were only expected to play the game - and so I managed to just kick it where I was told but deliberately kept it just in. Great drop kick I was told but criticised for the ball staying in. It took me a little while to get the hang of this game!

at wybourn school it was huntsman green,vickers red, elliott yellow . and cant remember blue. any ideas.

at wybourn school it was huntsman green,vickers red, elliott yellow . and cant remember blue. any ideas.

See Post #198 on Page 10.

Another old Greystonian here - Greystones Secondary 1950 - 55. Howard (blue - mine) Lovetot (Red) ,Furnival (green) and Talbot (yellow).

Labore vincam!

I attended Bradfield Secondary Modern 1959/64 the houses were Chester(blue), Derby(green), Lancaster(red) and York my house(yellow). I went to Stannington Junior from 1955/59 and the houses there were named for the Bradfield reservoirs Flask(blue), Agden(green), Dale Dyke(red) and Stripes(yellow)

Awh - me too - but I was starting at Stannington Primary as you were leaving Bradfield. I was in Flask at Stannington and Chester at Bradfield - blue all the way !

Carfield Secondary Modern School, in the early 1960s had Nelson (green), Gordon (red), Stephenson (yellow) and Pitt (blue). Everyone thought that Pitt was the best and Stephenson the worst. I was in Nelson.

Edited by Dorset Blade
Mistake re school

I went to Norton County (Now Mundella School) junior school on Derbyshire lane.

The four houses were Graves (Yellow), Chantrey (Blue), Ruskin (Green), and Mundella (Red).