Firwood Cottage, Reopening as The Blind Monkey

Get Chris Bamford and Kate involved I'd say.

I think they are taking on the Rutland Lease from Reet Ales

I hope it stays a pub. Let's not pretend it's a good pub at the moment though.

Maybe the threat of a new (and possibly unwelcome for some people) use for the building will mean it can instead become a pub worth visiting once more.

Says who? Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's not a 'good pub' What exactly would make it 'worth visiting' then?

Says who? Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean it's not a 'good pub' What exactly would make it 'worth visiting' then?

Says me. If you think it's a good pub you're entitled to that view. I'd disagree, but yes it's merely my subjective opinion.

Going to the pub is expensive for most people these days so they will carefully choose the pubs they visit. They want a good experience - whatever that means for them.

Says me. If you think it's a good pub you're entitled to that view. I'd disagree, but yes it's merely my subjective opinion.

Going to the pub is expensive for most people these days so they will carefully choose the pubs they visit. They want a good experience - whatever that means for them.

You want a good experience, whatever that is for you, you mean? Personally I choose local pubs with local people, no pretentiions, no fancy cask beer or real ale, and no snooty judgemental people.

You want a good experience, whatever that is for you, you mean? Personally I choose local pubs with local people, no pretentiions, no fancy cask beer or real ale, and no snooty judgemental people.

How are these pubs you like doing generally? All I see is pubs like the ones you describe closing.

Badly, unfortunately. I work with and enjoy being around older people who have a story to tell. It's these older people who are being hit hardest by the closures of small local pubs as they often can't chose where they go, they need to be able to walk there and back.

I value pubs like the Firwood for that reason, and just because it's a traditional working class pub, it shouldn't be labelled as bad. It's hard enough for Gary to keep the pub open without negative comments on line saying 'let's not pretend it's a good pub'.

Up to over 70 objections for the half way home, on a more positive note!

Badly, unfortunately. I work with and enjoy being around older people who have a story to tell. It's these older people who are being hit hardest by the closures of small local pubs as they often can't chose where they go, they need to be able to walk there and back.

I value pubs like the Firwood for that reason, and just because it's a traditional working class pub, it shouldn't be labelled as bad. It's hard enough for Gary to keep the pub open without negative comments on line saying 'let's not pretend it's a good pub'.

Up to over 70 objections for the half way home, on a more positive note!

I also value local pubs that I can walk to. But if they're not very good I don't go in them more than once until it looks like they might have improved. I've been here once, I went in the Belle Vue across the road once.

This may change for the worse if Heineken get their way :rolleyes:

Indeed. Chis at the CC already saying that if (when) the deal happens they will only be able to sell Heineken owns brewery ranges

"No real ale"? I guess that leaves lager that is mass produced somewhere miles away or low quality ales like Stones.

If you go somewhere like the Blake, you can get a choice of very locally-made beers for less money than a corporate nitrokeg lager.

If you want to drink the corporate stuff, and consider anything else to be too "fancy" for likes of you, that's your choice. However a lot of people do like locally-made ales and to try different things. The pubs that do have a decent range of beers are doing very well; those that are stuck with a pubco's range of overpriced low quality beers are struggling.

"No real ale"? I guess that leaves lager that is mass produced somewhere miles away or low quality ales like Stones.

If you go somewhere like the Blake, you can get a choice of very locally-made beers for less money than a corporate nitrokeg lager.

If you want to drink the corporate stuff, and consider anything else to be too "fancy" for likes of you, that's your choice. However a lot of people do like locally-made ales and to try different things. The pubs that do have a decent range of beers are doing very well; those that are stuck with a pubco's range of overpriced low quality beers are struggling.

I like the Blake, I just don't like stuck up pretentious people! I don't drink lager either, not that there's anything wrong with it, or beer for that matter. My point was that to slag a pub off online because it's not your cup of tea, when it's already struggling, is out of order. I also don't know many retired working class men that drink real ale. In my experience they want a pint of bitter and there's nowt wrong with that!

trouble is a pint of bitter these days isn't the same drink as it was in the 70s and 80s . How I miss the Tetley's in the pub next door to Lax and Shaws in Leeds when we were rebuilding their glass furnaces in 89 and 90.

https://www.totalales.co.uk/blog/2017/1/9/and-half-for-tha-self-changing-tastes-and-seeking-bitter-in-1970s-sheffield