£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

Now that is a good result for the Council. Well done!

:huh:

OK, but before we all get carried away...

... what's in it for them? :suspect:

Why does anyone want to invest so much money in a foreign country that is allegedly going to the dogs, and more especially Sheffield, a city that has missed the boat on so many levels?

Even more worryingly, the council will decide where all this money is to be spent!

And some people think Brexit is going to be bad news... :roll:

No surprise, I predicted this last year. Sheffield/china are growing friendly intimate relations.

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 08:53 ----------

Why does anyone want to invest so much money in a foreign country that is allegedly going to the dogs, and more especially Sheffield, a city that has missed the boat on so many levels?

Even more worryingly, the council will decide where all this money is to be spent!

What is in it for you?

Maybe Sheffield will become a live buzzing business centre again, these Chinese know how to do it.

I just don't see what they get out of this deal unless they are going to own all of the properties and collect the rents etc etc, or is it effect a large loan which we will have to pay back?

As always with these things the devil is in the detail and both of those articles are lacking in it.

The University. It attracts and has attracted large numbers of Chinese students who have gone back to China loving this city. Students who quickly work their way up the food chain (Or are relatives of those high up in the food chain) because they have a degree from the UK.

Add to that the simple truth - Sheffield does have lots of potential, there is a lot of underdevelopment in the city centre that is ripe for development.

Finally - 1 billion sounds like an awful lot, and it is, but in terms of the money needed to regenerate the city it isn't. Sevenstones was meant to come in at 600 million and they pulled out.

Looks like our boat just came in, I would expect these investments will eventually pay a profit to the Chinese.

That's what they're saying but these investors will want to make a profit.

I seem to remember lots of "outrage" at SCC going on investment-attracting trips - looks like this one paid off.

Council cannot even build a financially balanced little market place.

There is nothing wrong with getting some of these Chinese to show council how to do these things.

The University. It attracts and has attracted large numbers of Chinese students who have gone back to China loving this city. Students who quickly work their way up the food chain (Or are relatives of those high up in the food chain) because they have a degree from the UK.

Add to that the simple truth - Sheffield does have lots of potential, there is a lot of underdevelopment in the city centre that is ripe for development.

Finally - 1 billion sounds like an awful lot, and it is, but in terms of the money needed to regenerate the city it isn't. Sevenstones was meant to come in at 600 million and they pulled out.

:)

Yep, I get all that...

... but I'm sure this money is not going to be some sort of charitable gift.

If I was investing a billion pounds in anything, then I'd definitely want a say in how it was to be spent, and I'd also be wanting something tangible in return.

It's still not clear to me what that something tangible is... :huh:

You think a £1bn investment in the city is bad nesw? FFS :rolleyes:

You think a £1bn investment in the city is bad nesw? FFS :rolleyes:

:hihi:

Obviously not, providing we're not selling the family silver!

I think giving the council a free hand to fritter away a £1bn investment on their pet projects might be though! :roll: