Refund issues help needed

Hi guys, I'm having a few problem getting a refund from a holiday park, we booked a 2 night stay at a big holiday part for a car event, but they charged us for 3 nights, they admitted to the mistake and that we could take the extra night on another weekend or would refund the extra night back to us, so we asked for a refund as we wouldn't have been going back there for so time but now they are flatly refusing to offer a refund as "they don't do refunds of any kind" and also refusing to let us talk to the manager there.

Are they legally allowed to do this?

it's not so much the money as it's only 17 quid, but they talk to you like crap, they even have told us to go away and slammed down on us

Name and shame ;)

Did you pay on a credit card?

Simple answer is NO, they are not allowed to refuse you a refund. You entered into a contract to pay for 2 nights and they have broken the contract by charging for 3. Problem is though, as it's a civil, rather than a criminal law they've broken, it's difficult to enforce and the onus is on you to take action against them. If you have paid by credit card you should have some protection but the first point of contact would be Trading Standards or a local Citizens Advice Bureau and they should be able advise on a course of action and even contact them on your behalf but they could still refuse to pay. I worked for a CAB some years ago and it's one area of law that's poor and suits the big companies rather than individuals.

If you decide it's not worth chasing but want to feel a bit of redress, have a look at websites that would promote or rate the camp and then write your story on them as a bad review. Consumer power like this can be quite strong, especially if a few other people have had problems as well. Twitter and facebook can be useful in spreading information and recently, a well known computer company (Dell)had to improve their customer services follwing a massive 'Twitter' revolt started by one person complaining about the service he received. He linked up with a load of other disgruntled customers and they made such a noise that Dell shares dropped 25% until they fixed the problems.

Have a look at a website called 'trip advisor' as they provide consumer reviews on popular destinations/hotels, etc in the UK and you can add your comments. Good luck.

Edited by getphysical
spelling error

Have a look at a website called 'trip advisor' as they provide consumer reviews on popular destinations/hotels, etc in the UK and you can add your comments. Good luck.

I put a bad review on Trip Advisor for being overcharged on a hotel bill and then the hotel refunded me. Tell them you will give bad feedback if they won't refund in 3 days and then do it. If you put the name of the place in the first wording everytime someone looks the place up it will be near the front on the internet.

thanks for the advice guys, I didn't think they could refuse but wanted to get it confirmed from people more in the know than me, have now contacted trading standards over it and also sent an email to the holiday park. see where it gets me. like I say it's not the cash that worries me, it's the manner of how we are being dealt with