How do you like your wine corked?

How do you prefer your wine to be sealed?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer your wine to be sealed?

• A proper cork
    • A plastic "cork"
    • A screw top
    • A crown cap
    • A wine box
    • I only buy wine on draught
    • I'm a wino and couldn't care less
    • I just couldn't care less as I don't think it makes a difference

Last night we were served a bottle of Orvieto Classico. A wine waiter brought the bottle to the table and pulled the cork using a corkscrew.

It was the first bottle of wine sealed with a cork that I have seen for a while.

I just wonder if it makes a difference. Years ago there was some filth around with crown cap bottles. All the good stuff had a cork. Now wine comes with plastic "corks", proper corks, screw caps, crown caps, and of course in wine boxes. I have even had wine in a can.

How do you prefer wine to be packaged, or don't you think it makes any difference?

I do like the sound of a cork popping, but as a frail little thing I have on occassions struggled to pull some corks, and the screw cap is starting to gain in my affections. I hate wine boxes.

Anyhow. Over to the pundits.

Edited by foxy lady
Too much wine. Spelling

I like my wine served in the form of a drip directly into my bloodstream. Saves both time and effort.

A crown cap? You mean one of the things they usually have on bottled beer? (sorry not much of a wine drinker)

I remember a wine waiter pulling a cork on a bottle of wine, which emerged in several pieces and smelled like a damp goat. He still offered this dirty brown liquid with floating cork pieces for tasting.

I think the old corks have their uses. They allow good wine to mature, but most modern wines a chance to go off.

Unless it is a Chateau Latour I think a screw cap works fine. I do not see the point of the synthetic corks.

I was always amused by Jilly Goulden when she describes a wine as having hints of cat pee. How does she know what cat pee tastes like?:gag:

To be fair when wine started being produced and corked the screw top hadn't been invented. If it had, I dare say that it would have been the default lid on a wine bottle from day one. I'm all for screw top.

One reason is because I like saying screw. The other is that I occasionally don't finish a full bottle of red in one sitting and it's handy to just stick a lid on it and save it for the next day.

Whichever way the Sommelier wants to bring it to me. He will preferrably be handsome and occasionally naked if it's the ideal glass.

We have a very nice corkscrew that was a gift that makes opening bottles easy at home...

Having said that, if we are 'bringing a bottle' to a party it is much easier to take a screw top incase you can't find a decent corksrew when you get there!

And, once in a blue moon we don't actually finish a bottle of wine (only when it's not the first bottle of the evening ;) ) so when it's a screw top that's much easier for storing in the fridge.

I occasionally don't finish a full bottle of red in one sitting and it's handy to just stick a lid on it and save it for the next day.

What a strange concept :confused:

What a strange concept :confused:

Sometimes I really can't finish that third bottle.:hihi:

Last night we were served a bottle of Orvieto Classico. A wine waiter brought the bottle to the table and pulled the cork using a corkscrew.

It was the first bottle of wine sealed with a cork that I have seen for a while.

I just wonder if it makes a difference. Years ago there was some filth around with crown cap bottles. All the good stuff had a cork. Now wine comes with plastic "corks", proper corks, screw caps, crown caps, and of course in wine boxes. I have even had wine in a can.

How do you prefer wine to be packaged, or don't you think it makes any difference?

I do like the sound of a cork popping, but as a frail little thing I have on occassions struggled to pull some corks, and the screw cap is starting to gain in my affections. I hate wine boxes.

Anyhow. Over to the pundits.

The vast majority of quality vineyards still cork with a real cork... Although occasional bottles I've recently purchased have moved over to plastic corks... Wine with a screw cap is normally cooking wine, not really for drinking unless you are a student and don't mind!

Actually, thinking on, my daughter used to put a spoon dangling in the neck if she didn't finish the bottle.

I say used to, she actually only did it three times because I necked it as a nightcap each time.

Actually, thinking on, my daughter used to put a spoon dangling in the neck if she didn't finish the bottle.

I say used to, she actually only did it three times because I necked it as a nightcap each time.

Yeah, apparently you can keep the bubbles in sparking wine if you pop a tea spoon in the neck... Never really left it long enough to find out though :)