Mischief Night Tonight (4th Nov)

I'd never even heard of it until recent years and have never noticed any trouble but apparently it's the busiest night of the year for the emergency services. Anyone here had problems before?

(obviously none so far)

(obviously none so far)

Well yeah, I suppose I'm more likely to get answers later :) Just wondered if anyone had had issues in past years too

Oh yes, its rife round here. We get a very strong police presence so fingers crossed...

To be honest, I'd never heard of it until this year, and that was only by reading about it on a thread on here somewhere!

I'd never heard of it in Sheffield and first learned of it when my brother and family moved to Huddersfield about 20 years ago. We were sitting peacefully in their new house after moving them in, when we heard noises outside. Kids were in the moving van, letting the handbrake off and had just lobbed a brick through next door's window! Not the most comforting of welcomes! :D

It seems that, like everything else, it's a simple old tradition that's being used as an excuse for vandalism these days :(

I live round a park (its like a park in the middle of a gigantic round a bout) This poor guy in the corner had bought a brand new Nissan Micra a few days before Mischievous night, big mistake!

5 lads took it upon themselves to rock it so hard it ended up on its roof....

We've got a very grumpy neighbour who hates kids and by the looks of it his house copped it on Halloween. I wouldn't put it passed someone to take advantage tonight

We've got a very grumpy neighbour who hates kids and by the looks of it his house copped it on Halloween. I wouldn't put it passed someone to take advantage tonight

"his house copped it" - Mmm, wonder why your neighbour hates kids and is grumpy???

Always loved Mischief Night (4th Nov)

The best bit was torching ppls bonfires to spoil there fun HAHA , or wrapping up pooo in paper and lighting it on ppls doorsteps Oh the fun of it , in fact maybe out later ?

When I was a mere lass, mischief night was the night before cakin' night, so was on the 30th October.

I'd never heard of it in Sheffield and first learned of it when my brother and family moved to Huddersfield about 20 years ago. We were sitting peacefully in their new house after moving them in, when we heard noises outside. Kids were in the moving van, letting the handbrake off and had just lobbed a brick through next door's window! Not the most comforting of welcomes! :D

It seems that, like everything else, it's a simple old tradition that's being used as an excuse for vandalism these days :(

I'm with you on that Ruby. I was born and raised in Goldthorpe 63 years ago. We used to look forward to mischief night every year. It was our chance to "have a pop" at any neighbour who we thought "deserved" a bit of mischief. Like Mrs. Haythorne who kept every ball that landed in her garden, like Mrs Sutcliffe who put fear into our little hearts by bawling us out with a glare that melted steel for getting too close to her husband's car.

Of course nobody "deserved" it but we would tip their dustbin over or knock on their door and run away to hide and see the response. The next day we thought nothing of doing the bawlers shopping (half a mile walk to the CO-OP)...nothing much more than that really. No police presence, nothing to the extremes that occur today.

It's a sign of the times I'm afraid. It's due largely, IMO, to the deterioration of respect. I also believe it has much to do with what happens to people who are made to feel constantly under threat from enemies real and imagined...and worst of all...INVENTED!