No10 Petition for Gordon to go - last days

I've already signed it. Perhaps everyone should have it as their Facebook status?

Anyone that signs that will "disappear" :)

Come on, we can manage a last flurry surely, pass it on to everyone you know, 72000 so far. A couple of days left to do it.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/

There is very little rationale for wanting Brown to step down from either side:

If you support Labour then losing the next election is probably better for the party than winning; if they win they stand a very high chance of becoming like the the last Tory administration and becoming even less popular and losing in a horrendous landslide in four years time.

If you want Labour to lose surely you would want to keep such an unpopular and relitively easy to beat candidate at the helm for the general election.

I'd like him to stay, a captain should go down with his rat-infested ship.

I believe in elections to remove PM's

So he goes in May then.

What a pity it didn't take an election to appoint him.

Come on, we can manage a last flurry surely, pass it on to everyone you know, 72000 so far. A couple of days left to do it.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/please-go/

What a pointless idea. Totally ridiculous. Doesn't give any positive ideas or alternatives. Politics for dummies.

I believe in elections to remove PM's

I believe in elections to put them in power.

I believe in elections to put them in power.

So you'd prefer US style political system to elect a leader rather than our current system of party politics?

What a pointless idea. Totally ridiculous. Doesn't give any positive ideas or alternatives. Politics for dummies.

No, not really. To be fair, it's a joke, nothing more, nothing less. Take it for what it is. If you think anyone takes it seriously, I think you need an intelligence check.

It's clearly not going to have any effect, I just happen to find it mildly amusing.

There is very little rationale for wanting Brown to step down from either side:

Granted, but it's nobody is seriously expecting it to happen.

So you'd prefer US style political system to elect a leader rather than our current system of party politics?

No, not quite what I meant. You can (and do) end up with an impotent system that way.

I meant a general election. I have to admit this is the first time I've really been old enough to take much notice of a change of PM for the incumbent party though I seem to recall that it happened with the tories (Thatcher to Major?). I was of voting age then, but was just far more interested in other things, and I didn't have a telly or a radio.

I don't recall the new PM in the former case being as deeply unpopular as this one, though could be wrong. My memory of those days isn't great (like I say, different interests/priorities).