Photo printers advice please

Any advice on printing photos ,what printer ,ink costs etc.

How much do you want to spend?

Are you a serious photographer?

What size photos do you want to print?

How long do you want the photos to last?

How much do you want to spend?

Are you a serious photographer?

What size photos do you want to print?

How long do you want the photos to last?

Hobby , Street scenes etc.

post card to A4 ,

Around £100 ink cost is the problem.

Decent photo printer will always have higher ink costs than your run of the mill printer. Most have 5/6 separate tanks too. Obviously A4 will use a lot more ink than post cards, plus you'll be wanting proper photo paper and doing borderless prints.

Not sure what colour laser printers are like these days?

You'll also want to make sure the colour profile for Photoshop/whatever you use matches your printer or they can be set to match so WYSIWYG :)

Have a look at the epson ecotank models a little over your budget to way over your budget but capable of excellent results at really no ink cost

paper however still runs at about 45p a a4 sheet

we have 2 of these at home a et-2600 which is not a photo printer really but gives good results and you can get one of those for about £150

and a et-7700 which has 5 colours ( 2 blacks)and 2 paper trays can print on cd's also results are as good as any photo printer with 4 colours

Swarfendor...

Albert wanted small ink costs the canon you linked to has extortionate ink costs

Also why canon for borderless..dont all printers do borderless?

I wouldn't waste time. Just take your memory card or USB stick to Asda or any other photo place and print as and when you need them. Quality will be better and will be much cheaper in the long term.

Swarfendor...

Albert wanted small ink costs the canon you linked to has extortionate ink costs

Also why canon for borderless..dont all printers do borderless?

When a sales rep was pushing an hp inkjet at work once they stated there was a trick to undertake in settings to achieve borderless - Canon has a built in setting for borderless so nothing to fiddle with. Canon printer uses individual tanks and from experience cheaper than hp ink. Plus do other inks guarantee 25 year lifetime on phot output? I can't comment on other printers but Canon has been my manufacturer of choice since I started computing with my Amiga1500 with a bj-200.