Moving to Sheffield - Advice

Hi,

I will be moving to Sheffield very soon and wonder whether I could pick your brains and get your advice regarding family friendly areas to live in.

These are the essentials:

- 3/4-bedroomed house

- good nearby primary schools

- family friendly location (i.e. parks, low rates of antisocial behaviours, etc)

- garden

- commutable distance from city centre

Some desirables:

- good secondary schools

- garage

- supermarkets close by

Finally, would you say Hillsborough would meet our requirements? Are there areas you would advice us better to avoid? Would Chesterfield be a good option even if it's a bit farther away?

Look forward to seeing your replies.

Thanks

What's your budget? Are you renting or buying?

I can't comment on schools, but Hillsborough is nice enough, definitely commutable, close to parks and green areas, finding a house with a garage is possible, although many don't have them, gardens, similar, a lot will be quite small.

A little bit out of Hillsborough though and the garden and garage requirement become a lot easier.

The tram makes commuting to the city centre easy without having to worry about parking, it's also cycling or even running distance.

There is Morrisons at the Hillsborough Barracks, Tesco on Infirmary Road and Sainsbury at Wadsley Bridge, so no shortage.

Cue pages and pages of people arguing about whether specific parts of the city are nice or not.

... my Advice on moving to Sheff.... Don't!

Come to Hollinsend. Lots of different size and types of houses to look at. Park on the doorstep. Two good schools. Two nice pubs, local shops and bigger shops nearby. Two miles from the city centre and Crystal Peaks shopping centre. Handy for the tram.

Done

Log in to Rightmove (or similar) with your budget, then go for an external look at what takes your fancy, have a drive/stroll around the area and take note of how folk keep their homes and gardens, any gangs of youths, quality of cars in drives etc.

Good hunting. :thumbsup:

Cue pages and pages of people arguing about whether specific parts of the city are nice or not.

or the budget being £500/pcm in rent :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Have a look round Sheffield then realise that Leeds is brighter, shinier, has better rail and airport links, and more of everything useful apart from Meadowhell.

And it's but a short drive away :)

Avoid S5 at all costs.

Avoid the "Manor" at all costs.

... my Advice on moving to Sheff.... Don't!

You think everywhere sucks, so that's not really very helpful. :roll:

---------- Post added 06-06-2018 at 10:54 ----------

Come to Hollinsend. Lots of different size and types of houses to look at. Park on the doorstep. Two good schools. Two nice pubs, local shops and bigger shops nearby. Two miles from the city centre and Crystal Peaks shopping centre. Handy for the tram.

Done

I don't know anything about Hollinsend apart from the fact that it's 4 miles, not 2 miles to the city centre.

---------- Post added 06-06-2018 at 10:55 ----------

Have a look round Sheffield then realise that Leeds is brighter, shinier, has better rail and airport links, and more of everything useful apart from Meadowhell.

And it's but a short drive away :)

Presumably the OP has a job in Sheffield City Centre, so living in Leeds would be a really stupid thing to do.

Avoid S5 at all costs.

Avoid the "Manor" at all costs.

This is good advice.

You said Hillsborough - as long as you can cope with match day traffic I would think it would be good. It's also on the "nice" side of the city, that is the side that lets you get into the Peak District easily.

I agree with Hillsborough. Handsworth and Richmond are also nice residential areas, with good bus routes.