Shakespeares Spring Beer Festival 26-29 April 2018

Starts Thursday at 11.30 and carries on through the weekend.

Beer list

Almasty: DDH IPA - Double Dry Hop IPA 6.0%

Arbor: M Bomb - Pale Ale 4.7%

Beer Ink: Berry supersticious - Mixed berry sour TBC%

Blue Bee: American 10 Hop - Pale ale hopped with Citra, Ekuanot, Mosaic, Columbus, Chinook, Sorachi, Simcoe, Summit, Comet, Cascade 4.3%

Brodies: All about the Mosaic - Pale Ale with 500g of mosaic dry hop in the cask 4.0%

Fallen: Big Raspberry Dog Chew - Salted caramel and raspberry milk stout 10.0%

Five Towns: What In the world - Hazy Passion fruit IPA 8.0%

Hogarths: The Invasion (Mosaic and Citra Dry Hopped) - Session pale with Citra, Mosaic and Sorachi 3.8%

Hopjacker/ Shakespeares: Pitstop in Amarillo - Apricot IPA 5.5%

Howling hops: Pale Ale custom deluxe - Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic pale ale 3.8%

Imperial: (To be named) - DDH Citra, Nelson, Simcoe session IPA 4.3%

Lost Industry: Mint Choc Chip - Mint choc chip white stout 7.0%

Lost Industry/ Shakespeares: Rad Beets - Beetroot and horseradish Porter 6.4%

Lost Industry/ Steel City / Emporer's: The Cookie Strikes Black - Maple and pecan cookie imperial stout 10.0%

Magic Rock: Ringmaster (Dry hopped) - Pale Ale 3.9%

Magic Rock: Inhaler - Juicy pale ale 4.5%

Neepsend: Massa (Black forest edition) - Black forest and marzipan Stout 5.1%

North Brew co: Transmission - American IPA 6.9%

North Riding: Banoffee Porter - Banoffee pie flavoured Porter 5.0%

North Riding Brewpub: Optimism - Pale ale hopped with Ahtanum, Sybilla, Cascade 5.4%

On The Edge: Elixia - Golden ale 4.5%

Red Willow: Faithless 80 - DDH pale with falconers flight 4.4%

Ridgeside/ Northern Monk: Muffin Compares 2 U (Wooden Cask) - Blueberry muffin milk stout 6.5%

Shiny: Affinity (Gluten free) - Pale ale 4.6%

Siren: Suspended in Wolf - Wolf hopped pale ale 4.0%

Siren: Lumino - Session IPA 4.5%

Steel City: The Blood, The Wine, The Roses - Red wine barrel aged stout 6.8%

Steel City/ Hopjacker: HIBUDDHNZNEIPA - High IBU double dry hop New Zealand hopped New England India Pale Ale 6.5% (ish)

Twisted Angel: Clockwork - Bitter 3.6%

Vibrant Forest: Fraxinus - Amarillo and HBC 431 pale ale 4.5%

Some cracking looking beers there.

Agreed. With the Stupidly delicious and IPA takeovers over the last couple of months, Shakespeares have had some really good stuff on, and have taken a considerable chunk of my pay packet as a result. With the old owners now at the Rutland and fighting to keep up, there is some healthy competition in Sheffield or good beer at last, and that can only be a positive thing.

While I agree that Adam has really made the Shakey shine over the past year what Chris and Kate have turned The Rutland into deserve some praise. I mentioned to a friend of mine a couple of weekends ago that there was so much stuff going on over the weekend that I couldn’t get around everywhere I wanted to. I feel we are starting to a get spoiled in Sheffield with the amount of decent craft beer pubs.

Edited by mr craig

Far more to life (and beer) than pale ale, porter and stout, regardless of what gimmicks you throw in.

Why can't beer taste like beer? What's wrong with John Smiths Creamflow and some Carling...it's you poncy beer snobs that are closing our crappy local pubs down. Where can I get my Karaoke and a tray of meat as quiz winnings nowadays?

Grrrrr....(shakes fist at passing cloud) :hihi:

While I agree that Adam has really made the Shakey shine over the past year what Chris and Kate have turned The Rutland into deserve some praise. I mentioned to a friend of mine a couple of weekends ago that there was so much stuff going on over the weekend that I couldn’t get around everywhere I wanted to. I feel we are starting to a get spoiled in Sheffield with the amount of decent craft beer pubs.

Definitely. Sheffield Beer Week I was literally trying to be in 3 places at once. Tonight there's an NZ tap takeover at the Dev Cat as well as this. And some sort of beer launch at Brewpuppy.

Even aside from events both Shakey and Rutty get through some superb beers, throw in the events and it's no wonder I've forgotten what my house looks like...

Sounds exciting - I might have to trundle along some evening and try those marvellous ales ...

Why can't beer taste like beer? What's wrong with John Smiths Creamflow and some Carling...it's you poncy beer snobs that are closing our crappy local pubs down. Where can I get my Karaoke and a tray of meat as quiz winnings nowadays?

Grrrrr....(shakes fist at passing cloud) :hihi:

Sorry yes I was trying not to come across as a curmudgeon.... :rolleyes:

There's a happy medium though - the concentration of gimmick pale ales, porters and stouts becomes as monotonous as mainstream lager and Green King.

Whenever I look at these beer lists there's routinely a lack of red ale, brown ale, English bitter, dark mild, dark lager, wheat beer - its either tropical pale ales of various kinds or maltbomb stouts with gimmick editions.

There's no way of saying this without coming across as a stick in the mud, but that's the position I'm in.

That's fair, but TBH a pub beer festival will tend towards weird and wonderful. On an average day in the Shakey you might see one 'adjunct' beer on the bar, maybe two, but at the fest they go for rare and unusual. What would be the point of a beer festival with 15 best bitters, 10 generic pale ales and a couple of plain stouts?

There are 30 beers on the list, among them should you wish are several 'normal' beers, and of course Deception was still on. So where's the harm in having 20 crazy beers *in addition* to the normal range?

Enjoyed it there last week, after not drinking in Sheffield (other than the Commercial in Chapeltown) for some time.