Drill Music. Art or Offensive

Drill music. Is it an expression of art or is it offensive?

’scuse my ignorance, but what is Drill Music ?

Is is what the Drill Sergeant shouts at you ?

Left, Right!

Left, Right!

Ten Hut!

Back in line you maggots!

Artistic? Nah.

Offensive?

Well, the mere mention of the word Left gets the swivel-eyed right-whingers to spontaneously wet their knickers.

And the word Hut is offensive to the homeless. Especially if you have ten of them, like many greedy slumlords do.

Maggots is offensive to vegetarians, I presume.

So yes, let’s ban it. Or tax it. Yes, since we’re under the thumb of a bunch of Tory yahoos, we should tax Drill Music.

’scuse my ignorance, but what is Drill Music ?

Is is what the Drill Sergeant shouts at you ?

Left, Right!

Left, Right!

Ten Hut!

Back in line you maggots!

Artistic? Nah.

Offensive?

Well, the mere mention of the word Left gets the swivel-eyed right-whingers to spontaneously wet their knickers.

And the word Hut is offensive to the homeless. Especially if you have ten of them, like many greedy slumlords do.

Maggots is offensive to vegetarians, I presume.

So yes, let’s ban it. Or tax it. Yes, since we’re under the thumb of a bunch of Tory yahoos, we should tax Drill Music.

me neither, it seems to be a more extreme gangy version of grime tho

I daresay some people will find it offensive.

I don't like the lyrical content of the stuff that Mel linked to and I don't think it has a great deal of musical merit, but then I'm a middle aged middle class white guy.

I daresay some people will find it offensive.

I don't like the lyrical content of the stuff that Mel linked to and I don't think it has a great deal of musical merit, but then I'm a middle aged middle class white guy.

yeah what i saw on youtube it seems to be all gangs, drugs and guns lyrics, i dont mind some of the normal grime stuff, and dubstep etc

Melthebell,

First of all. I posted this thread on the General Discussion platform. Its ended upon on the Entertainment platform. I don't want to turn the Entertainment platform into a rant on politics. The import of Drill Music has certainly been politicised. Please read the following quote:

"In a new report, Birmingham-based academics Craig Pinkney and Shona Robinson-Edwards state that drill music is potentially dangerous since its “music videos are a platform which can provide the gang and/or gang members with a sense of power and authority. Individuals can essentially say and do what they want.” This is coupled with: “the constant narrative of ‘will you do what you say in your raps?’ puts the victim in a position where their credibility and livelihood are at stake.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/09/uk-drill-music-london-wave-violent-crime

I like to consider myself as tolerant and open-minded. But we all have our limits.

What's wrong with the people who spout murder and hate? What is there to like about that style of music?

Edited by petemcewan

Went to ballet yesterday, that's music.

No point, it's taxing enough already to listen to that!

Get government involved in drill music. Interesting mix, wonder what that sound like.

Edited by dutch

Clearly the music one likes is a deeply personal and emotional thing.

It occurs to me that Drill Music is the product of people who are profoundly unhappy and disturbed.

It has been claimed,it is possible to identify psychopaths by getting an individual- suspected of having the condition- to compile their playlist.

If I had kids who displayed a preference for Drill Music, I'd get them down the GP double quick.

Edited by petemcewan

It has been claimed,it is possible to identify psychopaths by getting them to compile their playlist.

thats me screwed then :P

Melthebell,

A scary hypothesis I think. Good job the Entertainment platform data,"What Music Are You Listening To " isn't being collected and passed on .