Eric Bristow dies aged 60

Five-time world darts champion Eric Bristow has died at the age of 60.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/43663426

Mods please rectify the title to dies instead of did and ages to aged.

Edited by iansheff

I never liked his sports personna, but liked him as a man

Condolences to his near and dear ones

Such a shock and young in this day and age

RIP Eric

Sad news,cant say I was a fan,but you had to respect the guy,he took some beating and was good for darts,real character that will live long in the memory of those that watched back then.

RIP

I thought he would've been a lot older than 60. He seems to have been around for many years - must've started young.

Treble 20,not a great age,rip crafty.

I was always a John Lowe fan in my younger days, (fairly) local lad with the cool, calm demeanour, Eric was his arch nemesis, a brash Southerner who wasn’t afraid to flaunt his arrogance (albeit with a twinkle in his eye), the Crafty Cockney was the player you loved to hate but could back up his persona with being a very good player, a true ambassador for the sport and a sad loss at such a young age. RIP Eric.

farewell then Eric Bristow,

you were darts' Steve Davis.

only southerners wanted you to win,

and when you lost, everybody else cheered.

even when it was Keith Deller.

I met Eric a couple of years ago on the Hull to Rotterdam ferry crossing, he was entertaining the folk on the crossing.

Got a pic with him somewhere, nice bloke shame he has died so early but most dart players in that era lead live's in the wrong lane of diet and booze and fags and looks like that lifestyle has caught up with him.

R.I.P Eric

most dart players in that era lead live's in the wrong lane of diet and booze and fags and looks like that lifestyle has caught up with him.

I'm reminded of this great sketch:

I did like Bristow and admired him for his darts but the best game I saw with him in it was when he did lose, to Deller in 1983.

Bristow really was like Steve Davis in snooker. Capable of flair but a master of the percentage game. He could have won with the bullseye in that leg, but on his last throw, he played the percentage shot, to finish up on double 16 and, with him, certain victory if he'd been given the chance. Where Jocky Wilson, the Hurricane Higgins of darts at that time, would have gone for that bullseye, Bristow, like Steve Davis, did not. But Deller played out with an unbelievable 138. I remember how magnamimous Bristow was in defeat to Deller. Bristow was cool.

RIP.