999 call and text scam.

Couple of nights ago around 3am my phone rung for a short time, not enough time to answer it, a minute later I get a text stating - THIS IS SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE, WE HAVE HAD A 999 CALL FROM THIS PHONE, PLEASE CONTACT US QUOTING REF:129, TO ADVISE IF POLICE ARE REQUIRED OR NOT, THANK YOU.

Anyway I knew no calls had been made from my phone so it was obviously a fake. I googled the number +447786200698 and it seems this particular number has been used in other scams.

Just putting this out there to maybe save someone a premium call costing god only knows how much.

Couple of nights ago around 3am my phone rung for a short time, not enough time to answer it, a minute later I get a text stating - THIS IS SOUTH YORKSHIRE POLICE, WE HAVE HAD A 999 CALL FROM THIS PHONE, PLEASE CONTACT US QUOTING REF:129, TO ADVISE IF POLICE ARE REQUIRED OR NOT, THANK YOU.

Anyway I knew no calls had been made from my phone so it was obviously a fake. I googled the number +447786200698 and it seems this particular number has been used in other scams.

Just putting this out there to maybe save someone a premium call costing god only knows how much.

thanks for the warning, these scammers are the lowest of the low :rant:

Edited by nikki-red
Fixed quote tags

That's not a premium rate number though? Just a normal mobile number!

That's not a premium rate number though? Just a normal mobile number!

The number that your phone has shown as calling you is not necessarily the true number. Just one example.

I get several spam calls a month purporting to be from a Sheffield (0114) number. They aren't.

Edited by horribleblob

Just out of interest did you contact the police on 101 to check the incident number? Police will send you a text if they have received a 999 call with no speech. It will come from a mobile phone, so that in itself is not suspicious.

The text message you have displayed above appears to be the genuine format of the messages sent by SYP. :)

I didn't as I knew there couldn't possibly have been a call made from my phone.