Just pulled by Police for no insurance.

I hadn't intended to spend the best part of half an hour in the back of a police car tonight but it would have been much worse if the car had been impounded.

The police officer really wasn't having my version of events but I cast enough doubt in her mind to get to keep the car. It was just like an episode of that police programme where they ask loads of questions trying to catch-out the perpetrator and then say, "Now tell me the truth".

So I got home, went online to check my documents and found out that the "U" in the registration is showing as a "V". From now on I will keep documents in the car.

Good to see the police are doing what they are supposed to. Good to see that they are being at least fair in some points.

Lesson learnt for you I guess. Always check any insurance documentations thoroughly.

Don't know why U is still in the reg plate mix when this mixup is a clear possibility tbh.

Don't know why U is still in the reg plate mix when this mixup is a clear possibility tbh.

Someone at Aviva has entered the wrong letter and I never noticed, nor did my wife's employer, RMBC when she took all her documents to be checked as an essential car user.

Someone at Aviva has entered the wrong letter and I never noticed, nor did my wife's employer, RMBC when she took all her documents to be checked as an essential car user.

Checking my documents right away.

That is serious, serious bad luck.

I had similar issues with dodgy data entry at a company and it dogged me for a couple of years.

Bad experience but don't dwell on it

Turns out the wrong reg was also for the same make of car just to confuse things. The police had contacted the insurance company overnight and the policy had been amended when I looked online this morning. I thought I was seeing things as everything checked out.

Turns out the wrong reg was also for the same make of car just to confuse things. The police had contacted the insurance company overnight and the policy had been amended when I looked online this morning. I thought I was seeing things as everything checked out.

It would be very difficult to prove who was at fault for the error; you are lucky to get it changed, without any penalty.

It would be very difficult to prove who was at fault for the error; you are lucky to get it changed, without any penalty.

You think so? The Police have enough on without trying to prosecute innocent motorists ......... don't they?

You think so? The Police have enough on without trying to prosecute innocent motorists ......... don't they?

It would have been a judgment call, by the police and the insurance company. They can be quite fickle at times; had it been a claim that would cost the insurance company thousands of ££££, you were not insured.

But how would they know you were innocent unless they checked? In this case you've been both unlucky and lucky. The police would have entitled to impound your car, but sounds like you passed the 'attitude test'!

What a mess, I have also just double checked my paperwork too to make sure there's not been a similar mistake!

What a mess, I have also just double checked my paperwork too to make sure there's not been a similar mistake!

Anyone check check for valid insurance on this web site .....

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/askmid.aspx