Do Combi-Boilers effectively 'waste' water?

The reason I ask, is that i've recently had a water meter fitted in my home. I haven't had a bill yet, so I can't say if it's going to be cheaper than simply paying a standard water bill. But thought I'd give it a go, because you're legally entitled to revert back to a 'normal' bill after 12 months, if it turns out it's not for you, and Yorkshire water, actually give you 2 years to revert back.

Anyway, the point is, it kinda sharpens your mind as to how often and where you could possibly be wasting water.

I have a combi boiler which feeds the hot water and the central heating. Previously it's just been a bit of an irritant, as my boiler, is sort of remotely tucked away in an upstairs cupboard, the hot water takes a while to come through to the kitchen, or indeed the bathroom. As I said, previously, this was just a minor irritant. However, now I'm wondering if running the hot tap, waiting for the hot water to finally arrive is going to be costing me money.

Any thoughts?

I would have thought even with a system with a hot water tank you still have to wait a bit while the water that's been sat and cooled in the pipes comes through before the hot water appears anyway, unless all your pipes were well insulated, so maybe it doesn't make much difference? Could be talking out my bum there of course.

I would have thought even with a system with a hot water tank you still have to wait a bit while the water that's been sat and cooled in the pipes comes through before the hot water appears anyway, unless all your pipes were well insulated, so maybe it doesn't make much difference? Could be talking out my bum there of course.

Yes of course...that's a valid observation. However, I've lived in houses where I've had one or the other fitted, and it always seems that the water takes much longer to heat up and 'come through' with a combi, rather than via hot water tank. I was filling the sink in the bathroom this morning, watching the water pour down the plug hole thinking...Bugger, I'm paying for that!!!...:|

Edited by PeteMorris

Yes of course...that's a valid observation. However, I've lived in houses where I've had one or the other fitted, and it always seems that the water takes much longer to heat up and 'come through' with a combi, rather than via hot water tank. I was filling the sink in the bathroom this monring, watching the water pour down the plug hole thinking...Bugger, I'm paying for that!!!...:|

On the other foot, you're not paying for the gas to heat up water in a tank that you may or may not use surely ?

edit - further to other replies above ( who were quicker than me!)

Yes it does waste water. Water costs something.

However, until your cost of wasted water exceeds your cost of fuel to heat the water in a boiler* then you will save money. Both systems heat the 'delivery pipes' on their way to your tap the further away the more pipes get heated on the way.

* some heated water remains in the boiler to cool down. The advantage of a combi is that you only heat what you need.

The cost may be a trade off between water and fuel bills.

ps My tip is to flush the loo when I turn on the hot tap. This reduces water pressure in your pipes and therefore the amount of water flowing through the combi and allows it to reach efficient operating temperature quicker. This wastes more water but I'm not on a meter . . . . . yet.

Edited by Flanker7

The reason I ask, is that i've recently had a water meter fitted in my home. I haven't had a bill yet, so I can't say if it's going to be cheaper than simply paying a standard water bill. But thought I'd give it a go, because you're legally entitled to revert back to a 'normal' bill after 12 months, if it turns out it's not for you, and Yorkshire water, actually give you 2 years to revert back.

Anyway, the point is, it kinda sharpens your mind as to how often and where you could possibly be wasting water.

I have a combi boiler which feeds the hot water and the central heating. Previously it's just been a bit of an irritant, as my boiler, is sort of remotely tucked away in an upstairs cupboard, the hot water takes a while to come through to the kitchen, or indeed the bathroom. As I said, previously, this was just a minor irritant. However, now I'm wondering if running the hot tap, waiting for the hot water to finally arrive is going to be costing me money.

Any thoughts?

The amount of water in the pipes is trivial when water is sold by the cubic metre. The cost of the water is minimal. What isn't trivial however is the cost of the heat put into the water that remains in the pipes to go cold again. That will be costing far more than the water as water is far cheaper than the cost of heating it.

On the other foot, you're not paying for the gas to heat up water in a tank that you may or may not use surely ?

Yes that's very true. Which is presumably why a combi-boiler was fitted. However, I've now become acutely aware of just how much water simply gets wasted. It may well be negligible in the grand scheme of things. It may be that it matters not a jot, as the meter may well save me money regardless of how much runs down the plug hole waiting for the hot water to arrive. (within reason of course)

Edited by PeteMorris

even with wasting a bit of water this way,you will be surprised how much you save with a water meter than a standard water bill.

even with wasting a bit of water this way,you will be surprised how much you save with a water meter than a standard water bill.

Well I'm hoping I'll be very pleasantly surprised, and not horrified...:hihi:

as long as your not filling up a swimming pool

as long as your not filling up a swimming pool

No, I'll have to wait for the summer for that! :hihi:

Yes that's very true. Which is presumably why a combi-boiler was fitted. However, I've now become acutely aware of just how much water simply gets wasted. It may well be negligible in the grand scheme of things. It may be that it matters not a jot, as the meter may well save me money regardless of how much runs down the plug hole waiting for the hot water to arrive. (within reason of course)

:huh:

It's nothing to worry about Mr Pete.

It's just that you've now lived here so long that you're showing the first signs of becoming an honorary Yorkshireman.

Now, to become a fully paid-up member, instead of letting cold water go straight down the plughole, you need to collect it in a washing up bowl so that you can work out the exact quantity wasted (in cubic metres) and then calculate the exact number of pennies it's costing you.

You can then use the collected water to flush the loo/lavatory/toilet* (*depending on your %age Yorkshireness)... :)