How does America decided which countries to attack, eg Iraq N Korea

America claimed that the reason they attacked Iraq was because of a story about WMD. North Korea is openly telling the world that they have such weapons now. I don’t see America doing anything about this. Is it like the school bully who is happy to thump the small skinny kid in the playground because he cannot fight back, but would run a mile from the big kid that can use his fists to good effect.

America claimed that the reason they attacked Iraq was because of a story about WMD. North Korea is openly telling the world that they have such weapons now. I don’t see America doing anything about this. Is it like the school bully who is happy to thump the small skinny kid in the playground because he cannot fight back, but would run a mile from the big kid that can use his fists to good effect.

What would America gain from attacking North Korea?

The footage of the bomb that was shown on N Korean TV was false, but was not reported as such in New York Newspapers.

Are the Koreans trying to frighten the Americans, or are the Americans trying to frighten everyone else...?

What would America gain from attacking North Korea?

More than a bloody nose for sure.

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 23:03 ----------

The footage of the bomb that was shown on N Korean TV was false, but was not reported as such in New York Newspapers.

Are the Koreans trying to frighten the Americans, or are the Americans trying to frighten everyone else...?

What caused the mini earth quake as reported on BBC in the UK this evening.

The principal is that if it was a weak contry even just boasting about having such a weapon America would be planning to attack it, even on the strength of such boasting.

Edited by Dr Afzal

its well known a war is good for business in a recession

Because it takes time to verify. If a country claims its carried out a test, then some parts of the media are going to run with that because its news. NY newspapers are not the government. The White House is running with the idea that the claims are false based upon their experts carrying out various verification procedures.

1. Are the Koreans trying to frighten the rest of the world about its own importnace and unpredictability? Yes. If they didnt have the random threat of nuclear weapons, then they could be largely ignored.

2.Are the Americans trying to frighten everyone else? No need, the unpredicatbility of their leadership speaks for itself. Unfortunately this helps them destabilise the region, is a direct threat to the world economy and poses a potential global security risk.

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 23:11 ----------

Any country looks after its own interests. Itaq wasnt just about wmd.

What would you like America to do about North Korea and how do you expect them to achieve it compared to what they have already tried? Would your policy be worth the risk?

[quote=999tigger;

What would you like America to do about North Korea and how do you expect them to achieve it compared to what they have already tried? Would your policy be worth the risk?

I`m not saying they should do anything, I`m highlighting what they dare and dare not do depending on which county it is. I don`t have a policy.:)

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 23:25 ----------

its well known a war is good for business in a recession

Which buisness apart from the arms related buisness?

Edited by Dr Afzal

Let's not forget that Iraq had WMD and used them to kill innocent women and children, so lets not shed any tears for the passing of Saddam Hussein's government. The monumental mistake that the USA made was their approach to Iraq post Saddam, not removing Saddam in the first place.

The lesson that can be taken from Iraq is that if you're a tyrant and you want to do bad things then you need nuclear weapons to be able to do it and get away with it.

I personally think that if North Korea does/has developed an H bomb, then a tipping point has been reached and the world can no longer stand by and watch what North Korea is up.

I even think that the development of weapons in the megatonnage scale may be too much for China to bear, if this is the case then it's game over for North Korea.

America was mentioned in the media as being a target of choice for N Korea if indeed they have such a choice.

What do we know about this bomb?

At this stage, not a lot. The United States Geological Survey did say it generated seismic waves equivalent to a 5.1 magnitude earthquake, although analysts at the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) said it was equivalent to a 4.9 quake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35240193

Edited by Dr Afzal

I`m not saying they should do anything, I`m highlighting what they dare and dare not do depending on which county it is. I don`t have a policy.:)

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 23:25 ----------

Which buisness apart from the arms related buisness?

You either cnat see the issues or you arent answering the questions.

For any given policy they weigh up what the issues are, what they might have to do, why and what they might achieve.

With N Korea the risk is that they are unstable enough to set off weapons anywhere. S korea being a prime target and that would be a disaster. Its a waiting game. Its not as though they can do anything militarily. Maybe the leadership will die and gradually their will be internal change.

Do you really understand the situation in N Korea? If Saddam had gotten the bomb, then it would change everything just as it will if Iran gets it.

On his album Amused To Death Rodger Waters comments on the concept of the bravery of being out of range,don't we all love the good old us of a.

I recognised that photo on Korean TV as an old French test from the 1960s.

Obviously it was false, because no one does atmospheric testing on nuclear weapons any more.

I was surprised to see the BBC reporting it as an atmospheric blast.