I’m trying to establish if Acrylic is heat resistant.

I’ve just been looking on Google in an attempt to establish whether or not Acrylic is heat resistant. Anyone know for sure? The closest result found was Acrylic splashbacks for behind hobs that are ok up to 80 degrees C.

I’m checking in respect of a pipe (from China) I think I’ll ask them if they sell chocolate fire guards too.:hihi:

I’ve just been looking on Google in an attempt to establish whether or not Acrylic is heat resistant. Anyone know for sure? The closest result found was Acrylic splashbacks for behind hobs that are ok up to 80 degrees C.

I’m checking in respect of a pipe (from China) I think I’ll ask them if they sell chocolate fire guards too.:hihi:

Theres lots of different things called acrylic...

methacrylates?

PMMA?

ethy acrylates? Propy? hydroethoxyacrylate...?

Perspex being the common one that everyone thinks of, is thermosetting, so it wont decompose before the melt point, which is about 140-1170C depending on how it was made.

If the vendor cannot tell you these answers, being as they made it they should know I'd find another vendor.

High density polyethelene (HDPE) pipe is what you would usually used in every day temperature and pressure applications. Joints are likely to be more of a problem than the pipe.

Acrylic seems like an odd thing to be suggesting unless you need a clear pipe for this sort of thing.

http://cdn.tripwiremagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/image_thumb449.png

:hihi:It`s a smoking pipe, hence the question about heat.

Acrylic will be attacked by tobacco smoke. I'd try polycarbonate instead, also it melts a little higher temperature.

ok. I had not thought of the corrosive issue of smoke, just the temperature of burning. It`s only a very cheap item, but I am curious if something does not seem quite right.