Christmas & New Year : Goes on too long and too many bank holidays ?

Am I the only person who thinks the Christmas and New Year period just goes on (and on and on) far too long ? I happen to know for a fact many people start getting bored and thus start spending time on the internet because number of visitors on my site goes up markedly (on average it`s about 1000 per day) :

25 Dec = 660

26 Dec = 1178

27 Dec = 1379

28 Dec = 1579

29 Dec = 1675 (the highest of the whole year, super boredom has set in....)

Even worse, it`s a waste of Bank Holidays, three of them in the middle of the coldest and wettest and darkest part of the year, and half the tourist attractions are closed as well !

Surely there should be just one Bank Holiday (Christmas Day) and move the others to the summer ! If that`s too extreme, at a minimum they should get rid of the Boxing day BH and move that to the summer......

Anyone else think so ? ! ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Am I the only person who thinks the Christmas and New Year period just goes on (and on and on) far too long ? I happen to know for a fact many people start getting bored and thus start spending time on the internet because number of visitors on my site goes up markedly (on average it`s about 1000 per day) :

25 Dec = 660

26 Dec = 1178

27 Dec = 1379

28 Dec = 1579

29 Dec = 1675 (the highest of the whole year....)

Even worse, it`s a waste of Bank Holidays, three of them in the middle of the coldest and wettest and darkest part of the year !

Surely there should be just one Bank Holiday (Christmas Day) and move the others to the summer ! If that`s too extreme, at a minimum they should get rid of the Boxing day BH and move that to the summer......

Nope, I think that we need a reason to celebrate amongst all our family and friends in the middle of winter.

You're free to work between the bank holidays if you like. The fact that so many people take 3 days annual leave suggests that they're happy to be off work.

Nope, I think that we need a reason to celebrate amongst all our family and friends in the middle of winter.

Agreed. It seems to disrupt everything for about 1 month. As you say I would far sooner have time of during better weather. It was at its best when people left work together early on Christmas Eve to have a drink and went back the day after boxing day.

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 10:55 ----------

You're free to work between the bank holidays if you like. The fact that so many people take 3 days annual leave suggests that they're happy to be off work.

Not in my experience. Unless you are self employed wherever I have worked, the company have told me when they are closing.

25 Dec = 660

26 Dec = 1178

27 Dec = 1379

28 Dec = 1579

Even worse, it`s a waste of Bank Holidays, three of them in the middle of the coldest and wettest and darkest part of the year !

I think the build up to Christmas starts far too early . This year has worked well with News Years Day being on a Friday .

I think they should move one of the May Bank holidays to October then we could have a Trafalgar Day .

Not in my experience. Unless you are self employed wherever I have worked, the company have told me when they are closing.

One of my lads used to complain bitterly that our suppliers "let all their staff have the whole of the Christmas period off, so why can`t we do the same". He wasn`t quite so keen on the idea when I pointed out to him that their staff were having to use up their holidays to take that time off......

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 11:03 ----------

It isn`t that simple. I am self employed, I can work or not as I like, but my wife isn`t. Thus, if we`d prefer to have those Bank Holidays off for family trips out when it`s nicer weather (and when more places are open in the first place......) we can`t.

I`d warrant that many people who take so many days off over Xmas have no choice in the matter.

Edited by Justin Smith

I agree,all the suppliers are shut,I would work through xmas if I could.

Damnit, why couldn't Baby Jebus have been born during a warmer month!

God sake. Its ONE extra bank holiday this year. The only reason for such holiday was that Boxing Day took place on a Weekend.

If Christmas day had been on a Monday everyone would have been nicely back at work by Wednesday. Same for New Years day, which would have meant everyone back to work as normal on Tuesday.

Its just the way its happened to fall this year. People have been lucky that the weekends have been so close to the event days and associated holiday.

As others have said, I think you are pretty much on your own. The majority of those fortunate to get it have enjoyed their time off, even took advantage of the minimal impact to their annual leave allowance and extended it right through the 2 week period.

Don't panic, normal service will resume in a couple of years.

25 Dec = 660

26 Dec = 1178

27 Dec = 1379

28 Dec = 1579

Even worse, it`s a waste of Bank Holidays, three of them in the middle of the coldest and wettest and darkest part of the year, and half the tourist attractions are closed as well !

It seems to me you're saying people must be super bored to be logging onto your website in increasing numbers up to the 29th.....

But, could it just be that people are simply having a bit more time to do what they want during the 'silly season'?

Personally, I'm glad of the time off for Christmas...Although I'm not overkeen on New Years Day...It's all a bit of a non-event. Oh and I have no choice in what time I have off...at any time of year!...We're just told...Which irritates me beyond words....Because those enforced 'holidays' are the most expensive times of the year to actually 'go' on holiday, because they're always timed to coincide with kids holidays, and going on holiday where's millions of screaming kids isn't my idea of a holiday anyway!

Agreed. It seems to disrupt everything for about 1 month. As you say I would far sooner have time of during better weather. It was at its best when people left work together early on Christmas Eve to have a drink and went back the day after boxing day.

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 10:55 ----------

I don't think I've ever been told that I have to take it off, and I worked for a lot of companies.

Different environments might be different of course, the rail industry pretty much shuts down, the IT industry doesn't.

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 13:52 ----------

God sake. Its ONE extra bank holiday this year. The only reason for such holiday was that Boxing Day took place on a Weekend.

If Christmas day had been on a Monday everyone would have been nicely back at work by Wednesday. Same for New Years day, which would have meant everyone back to work as normal on Tuesday.

Its just the way its happened to fall this year. People have been lucky that the weekends have been so close to the event days and associated holiday.

As others have said, I think you are pretty much on your own. The majority of those fortunate to get it have enjoyed their time off, even took advantage of the minimal impact to their annual leave allowance and extended it right through the 2 week period.

There is no extra BH the year just finished, there were the same number as usual.

If you want to make it a full week off, it's almost always 3 days of annual leave.

I don't think I've ever been told that I have to take it off, and I worked for a lot of companies.

Different environments might be different of course, the rail industry pretty much shuts down, the IT industry doesn't.

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 13:52 ----------

There is no extra BH the year just finished, there were the same number as usual.

If you want to make it a full week off, it's almost always 3 days of annual leave.

It is different depending on what industry you're in. I work in engineering, and it's pretty universal to have 'set' holidays. Even if I wanted to work over Christmas or any other time, I couldn't because the place simply shuts down..End of...No choice in the matter!

Oh except if your the boss...he can swan off to Thailand at any time he pleases....Yes we know what for... :suspect:

It seems to me you're saying people must be super bored to be logging onto your website.

Oh yes, super super bored ! Seriously though, if you look at the days and times that people are on my website it`s usually when they`re at work ! Thus, they must be bored to start going on it at home (more then they do at work) ! !

---------- Post added 02-01-2016 at 14:05 ----------

Not for the first time what is said on a forum does not reflect what`s said to me in real life ! Almost without exception the people I talk to (friends or customers or just folks you bump into on the Clapham omnibus) say Gawd, is goes on and on doesn`t it..... To be frank most people I talk to aren`t actually that bothered about Christmas : "too much bleedin` hassle". That excludes kids (and possibly the parents of young kids) or religious people, and generally women are more bothered about Christmas then men.

Edited by Justin Smith