Sign in to follow this  

The Office goes to the USA

Surely I'm not the only person who correctly predicted that BBC 2's The Office wouldn't go down well in America? Do TV executives at the BBC have short term memory problems?! This is just the latest in a long line of formats that have flopped once adapted for the US market.

I really don't understand how this concept can work - you completely remake a successful show with different actors and scripts and for some reason you expect it to be as popular as the original?!

I remember watching something the other day about how the US version of BBC 2's 'Coupling' was one of the most hyped shows last year and also one of the shortest - being pulled after about 2 episodes!

How is it the BBC's fault that the Yanks just don't "get" British humour?

Its got nothing to do with the BBC anyway, Ricky Gervais and his writing partner sold the series to american tv. Plus, anyone with a brain could see it wasn't going to work. Its far too dry to appeal to a mass audience here, in america it wouldn't even get off the ground.

Chris.

Originally posted by Rich

How is it the BBC's fault that the Yanks just don't "get" British humour?

Err... I didn't say that?! I said the BBC were being stupid for thinking they would.

Originally posted by Chris_Sleeps

Its got nothing to do with the BBC anyway, Ricky Gervais and his writing partner sold the series to american tv.

Oh right, that's interesting. I was under the impression they sold their rights to the Office to the BBC who would then sell it around the world like they've done with other programs?

Anyone remember "Red Dwarf USA"? :lol:

That was sooooooo bad

Originally posted by RPG

Anyone remember "Red Dwarf USA"? :lol:

That was sooooooo bad

Ditto the US version of Men Behaving Badly (whatever it was called)

The best one so far has to be coupling - they remade it not only because the Americans didn't 'get' the humour but also because it was too rude and crude for their poor little PC brains!!!

It's funny...I still see 'Are you being served?' on some of the channels over here and I know quite a few people (yanks) who are into Father Ted , Red Dwarf and The Office (original UK series).

I have the Office on DVD and it's been my mission to make as many colonial converts as possible! That and The league of gentlemen - but that's been a harder sell ;)

Being a brit in the US, I've been asked 8 billion times if I like 'Monty Python'. Gah.

YES - I LIKE MONTY PYTHON BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN BRITISH PEOPLE ARE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO LIKING IT!

DAMNIT!

;)

Originally posted by headup

YES - I LIKE MONTY PYTHON BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN BRITISH PEOPLE ARE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO LIKING IT!

Did you wash down your cucumber sandwich with some tea before telling them that?

I suddenly remembered Ricky Gervais saying that the whole idea of selling The Office to the USA was a bad idea, but the money was so good that he didn't care. I will try and hunt down the article.

Originally posted by Chris_Sleeps

Its got nothing to do with the BBC anyway, Ricky Gervais and his writing partner sold the series to american tv. Plus, anyone with a brain could see it wasn't going to work. Its far too dry to appeal to a mass audience here, in america it wouldn't even get off the ground.

Chris.

I've been watching The Office now on BBCAmerica for over a year now and I can tell you they love it over here. Can't get enough of British humour. And yes Rich, they do get it! What they often don't get is not so much the humour but the slang words and the accents. Americans often prefer the British versions over their own versions because they aren't censored as much if at all. For instance, Absolutely Fabulous. It's on all the time, late at night though. Coupling was on last night. Re-run of course. No censorship either. We are set for another season of The Office. Rude and crude keeps me sane ;)

Ditto the US version of Men Behaving Badly (whatever it was called)

Friends?

Originally posted by rarstar

Friends?

No, it was still called Men Behaving Badly. They didn't bother to change the name.

It starred Rob Schneider and was cancelled after just one season. I can see why, it was abysmal