Should the UK Join the Euro?

Should the UK join the Euro  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK join the Euro

I say no. I don't really see that its advantages will outweigh its benefits.

What do you say?

I say yes, the drawbacks will not outweigh the dissadvantages.

I agree NIck - the drawbacks and disadvantages will be about equal.:hihi:

I Like to think we are a little unique to the rest of Europe :)

I say no, our country is already in a mess, why make it worse!!!

I would say thats a definite indication of the feeling of the nation!

I agree NIck - the drawbacks and disadvantages will be about equal.:hihi:

what would the drawbacks and disadvantages be then ?

I would like the UK to join eventually, but I don't feel qualified to say when would be a good time.

Classic post nick2........:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I distrust the smoothing effect that the Euro has on the economies of countries that traditionally had weak currencies prior to embracing the Euro. Some EU members could benefit from a currency devaluation which of course is impossible with the Euro.

Italy particulally are unhappy with their membership of the single currency regime, Holland and Belgium feel similar and France is moving in their direction. The risk is too great to take at this time when we expect EU membership to increase even more and there is a possibility of Turkey (that isn't even in Europe) joining.

I know that membership of the Union is not an automatic ticket into the Euro but it a very good start.

Don't know if now is the right time but eventually we should join, it'll make doing business with the rest of the continent less of a headache.

There is not a single valid argument for joining the euro anytime soon, and a lot of powerful arguments against. Even the pro-euro lobbies are now half-hearted and equivocal in their support for early entry.

In my opinion, the debate will only revive again when two things happen. Firstly, when the economic performance of the eurozone outstrips that of the UK for a sustained period (no signs of that happening yet); and secondly, when the European monetary system is made more flexible than it is at present (despite the de facto changes to the Growth and Stability Pact, the system is still quite rigid). If this is combined with other factors, such as a fall in Foreign Direct Investment into the UK relative to that of the eurozone, plus an increase in the volatility of the pound relative to other major currencies, then the debate might spring back into life. But even if it does, the obstacles would still remain formidable (for example, public opinion is still very largely hostile, as are most of the public prints).