Sign in to follow this  

Win a baby?!

I am surprised no-one in here has brought up the topic of the new game show in America where the winners get to adopt a 16yr old's baby.The girl wants to keep it but her mum says she is too young.The show's producers claim that they are showing a serious programme on adoption.What do you think?

If you want a demonstrator that society is going down the pan here it is!

It is America though,we won't copy it for at least a few years!

I think the producers will be spending a lot of money on therapy

I should hope so,how can they live with themselves?Even the people trying to winthe kid thinks it's scummy,they are just so desperate for a child.

Much as I loath reality and game shows at least with most of them you only run the risk of screwing up your own life not some poor innocent kid who has no choice in whats happening to him/her.

I also have to ask whether anyone who would go in for this sort of thing should be trusted with a child?

Ugh, Yanks are morons.... That's my only offering on the subject as I'm too tired to go into a long rant about my feelings regarding Americans.

Originally posted by Rich

Ugh, Yanks are morons.... That's my only offering on the subject as I'm too tired to go into a long rant about my feelings regarding Americans.

A bit "racist" though wouldn't you say? Surely you can't make such a sweeping remark about such a vast amount of people.

Originally posted by t020

A bit "racist" though wouldn't you say? Surely you can't make such a sweeping remark about such a vast amount of people.

This thread is just begging to be dragged off topic now thanks to you...

if this girl is going on the show for monetary gain then does this not equate to child trafficing?

I heard the producer interviewed on 5 Live. She was justifying it, saying that all adoption was competitive as there are so many more families wanting to adopt babies than there are babies to be adopted.

I just find it depressing that anyone can think this is a suitable subject for entertainment, including those who tune in to watch it.

Originally posted by t020

Once again, you're correct t020. If someone had said "all Iraqis are morons" the sky would have fallen in and we would have drowned in a sea of self righteous indignation. But the Americans, it seems, are fair game for such sweeping generalisation.

As Eddie Izzard once said, the problem with America is that their "Land Of The Free" mentality has worked TOO well.

Because anything is possible in the US, they've given us the best and the worst of everything. They've produced the best popular music the world has ever seen (Beatles excepted), but they've also given us the most god awful dross imaginable.

Same applies to their films, TV programmes etc, etc.

Unfortunately, in a country where virtually anyone can do anything (it's written in their constitution) this is the result.

Who knows, if we weren't hung up on the class system and the monarchy in the UK, we could have gone the same way.