Private sale - problem

A while ago (5-6 weeks), I sold a laptop on the forum. The guy turned up, had a look at it, used it and subsequently bought it.

Now, 5-6 weeks on, I get a letter through the post telling me that it's faulty, saying that it never worked for a single minute. I find this ridiculous as it was shown to be working.

Guy says the laptop never worked from when he got home, and that he didn't get in touch sooner because he lost my address. Now if it had been me, the boot on the other foot, I would have taken it straight back.

Something doesn't ring right about this - advice please!?

After six weeks? I'd tell him to do one!!!

Bought as seen, end of.

1/ bought as seen.

2/ If the laptop has been used since he purchased it you can find out.

3/ Stop selling dodgy laptops.

4/ Ignore 2 and 3 because 1 comes into play.

In other words, don't worry about it.

He had a play with it at your place before buying it.

He still bought it.

It's his problem. Though if you're feeling kind you might offer to see if you can fix it but make it clear there is never going to be a refund/return.

1/ bought as seen.

2/ If the laptop has been used since he purchased it you can find out.

3/ Stop selling dodgy laptops.

4/ Ignore 2 and 3 because 1 comes into play.

In other words, don't worry about it.

My Bold

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Like Hetty says, tell him to do one, if he had lost your address how come he has suddenly just found it? and if it's didn't work from getting home why didn't he come back the same day or a couple of days after if he was busy?

more like he's done something he can't fix and wants to pull a fast one on you

Who was it??? Go on, tell us.

:)

We could do with his side of the story to make a balanced decision.

How strange that he could find your place to collect it, then immediately forgot where you were when he got home and discovered the laptop didn't work. And he could have checked on classifieds to see how to contact you, I assume the ad wasn't immediately removed.

He's coming it - just write back and tell him it was working when he tried it, it was sold as seen and it's not your problem.

how much did he pay for it? was he a ****? thats the kind of thing they do then start threatening people

thats the kind of thing they do then start threatening people
Considering the letter was by post to the OP's address, I'd be tempted to consider that a threat in itself.

The very reason why I never do online forum deals at or from home. Chancers and liars are born every minute. You only make that mistake once, then you've learned ;)

Bought as seen, so no recourse for the buyer (especially as he tried it before agreeing to buy it ...although strictly speaking, it's not required for the sale to be binding).

To be fair, I have previously bought stuff from this Forum and others, which was apparently fully OK when I tried it at the seller's place or with the seller, but started "misbehaving" once I got it home. It does happen (but very, very, very rarely indeed). I never sell non-working/not-as-described stuff myself, life is hard enough as it is without causing oneself further aggravation unnecessarily.

Edited by L00b

Not going to rise to speculation of ethnicity - why does every thread on here take that turn? Nor am I gonna name him.

How strange that he could find your place to collect it, then immediately forgot where you were when he got home and discovered the laptop didn't work. And he could have checked on classifieds to see how to contact you, I assume the ad wasn't immediately removed.

He's coming it - just write back and tell him it was working when he tried it, it was sold as seen and it's not your problem.

This is what I couldn't work out! He'd rung me, sent me several pm's, been to my house... If there was anything remotely dodgy about my selling it, I wouldn't have sold it, nor would I have given my address. When I buy off the forum, I try to stay away from the ones that want to meet up somewhere apart from their home...

I did mark on the classified that it was sold, but left it at that (didn't delete it) because loads of people were after it

I agree with sold as seen, however, I'm no trickster, if there'd been a genuine problem even up to a day or two after it sold, and he'd got in touch, I could've sorted something out. He's had ample opportunity to get in touch before now but hasn't. If he'd lost my address as he now claims, he coulda got in touch off the forum, or phoned me.

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys, just in all my years, never had anything close to this happen!