Coeliacs Disease

I have a friend who's 4yr old child was diagnosed with Coeliacs Disease about 2 years ago. The condition seemed to clear up, but has now reared its head again. He has had a blood test done, which shows that "2 of the 3 indicators are clear, but one isn't."

What does this mean, as I would like to reassure them...

my friends daughter has this and at that age she was verry ill

i dont know what that means but what i willsay is her daughter is now 7 years old and lives a perfectly normal life obviously theres lots of things she cant eat but it doesnt bother her at all ,shes a perfectly happy fit and well child .

I have a friend who's 4yr old child was diagnosed with Coeliacs Disease about 2 years ago. The condition seemed to clear up, but has now reared its head again. He has had a blood test done, which shows that "2 of the 3 indicators are clear, but one isn't."

What does this mean, as I would like to reassure them...

I don't think this does clear up, it has to be diet controlled. It's the only way to manage the symptoms.

Unfortunately the condition does not clear up and there are no drugs or operational procedures as far as i am aware, an ex of mine had this condition and lead a perfectly normal life albeit not being able to eat anything containing gluten (found mainly in wheat) but there are some really good food alternatives out there that contain no gluten.. I would consider taking advice from a qualified Dr. and the Coeliacs society web site (google).. as far as i can remember being a coeliac you have to maintain a healthy diet and regular trips to the Drs. for check ups due to further complications with the bowel functions but apart from that a normal life is to be expected... :thumbsup:

I don't think this does clear up, it has to be diet controlled. It's the only way to manage the symptoms.

This is just what I was about to post ! It's something that the person will have lifelong and will never go away. Most people learn to live with it by adapting their diet and lifestyle.

There is also degrees of severity with coeliacs. Some people cannot tolerate even the slightest trace of gluten while others can control things by limiting the amount they eat.

I'm 24, and I was diagnosed 5 months ago. I have been finding it really tough, but I was extremely ill up until my diagnoses, so thats more than a reason to deal with it.

My elder cousins daughter was also diagnosed around the same time, she is 5/6 and dealing with it really well.

I do know that if I have any problems and I feel poorly its usually because I have eaten gluten and not realised it or the food is only at the 'codex standard', which means there is still a tiny bit of gluten in the food, but it is a specific amount that in most cases doesn't have an effect. I was told that it could take up to two years for my body to heal itself, so any slip ups in that time could cause me more pain than ever before.

I hope that more people gain awareness to this illness, although young children are more often diagnosed than adults I do feel that it is important for people to understand this. It has been hard for me to make that transition, I'm extremely grateful to my partner for being there and supporting me, by going Gluten free with me. We have had to completely change our way of life, and he has been a rock throughout.

my mum has had it since she was about 20, she has always lived a perfectly normal life. have you tried the special bread, yuk its so gross. if she does eat gluten she gets bad migraines.

My 8 year old neice was diagnosed with this about 4 years ago. She is also diabetic, so on a very strict diet - I don't envy her mum planning her meals :(

Like most kids she doesn't bat an eyelid though, and just gets on with it.

my mum has had it since she was about 20, she has always lived a perfectly normal life. have you tried the special bread, yuk its so gross. if she does eat gluten she gets bad migraines.

thats interesting, i never event thought that my migraines could be connected. yeh, the bread is gross. n and i love to eat bread. Although I have found a make that makes the perfect loaf in my 'gluten free' bread maker, its Mrs Crimbles Bread mix. Its definitely the best we have found ! Its surprising how nice some of the gluten free cakes are in comparison to wheat ones, i have found that i prefer them.

I was diagnosed when i was around 3 or 4 years old, at 19 i tried to join the R.A.F and was told that i could not join due to my dietary condition, this spurred me to speak to my doctor to see about a reassessment, i glad that they re took the tests as i was found to be all clear much to everyone's astonishment. I was told that this was impossible, i am now 40 and have not had any problems yet, but you can never be so sure !!!!!!!!!!