As a Tory voter, are you offended by being called 'Gammon face'?

You should read the manifesto. Surely you are aware of the Green's outright Marxism because it's very transparent. You're not fooling me with your yogurt trouser disguise

Stop being ridiculous.

You clearly haven’t got the slightest clue.

For those that can't see the racist angle - what if someone starts using term "gorilla-faced" to describe violent black protesters (e.g. during BLM protests in US)? Obviously, it wouldn't be targeted on the whole race, just on tiiiiny subset - younger age, lower class, violent, black men. And it's just a characteristic/temperament/attitude that can be changed.

And they would claim it's just "poking fun" at people whose face turns gorilla-like when angry.

Would you call that comical? Would you consider it not-racist?

A separate race from what?

Why can you not bring yourself to admit that the 'gammon' racial slur refers to middle-aged WHITE men? Do you think that by not mentioning this very relevant fact there can be no racist motive in the insult?

Owen Jones, the Guardian columnist, has readily admitted that the target of this insult is middle-aged WHITE men. But he believes, naively, that white people mocking other white people over their skin colour cannot be racist. Somebody else who has never heard of internalised racism.

You refuse to even accept that the insult is anything to do with skin colour. As such, you prove beyond reasonable doubt that you simply don't live in the real world.

It has much more to do with their anger. Without that the term would never have arisen.

There’s thousands of white Brexit supporters who sat in those audiences, and many of them spoke to explain their thoughts and feelings. The majority were dignified and rational. But some were not. Some ranted. Some turned pink with rage. They my friend are the gammons.

You’re onto a loser with this one. There’s just no way you can win it.

---------- Post added 22-05-2018 at 07:49 ----------

For those that can't see the racist angle - what if someone starts using term "gorilla-faced" to describe violent black protesters (e.g. during BLM protests in US)? Obviously, it wouldn't be targeted on the whole race, just on tiiiiny subset - younger age, lower class, violent, black men. And it's just a characteristic/temperament/attitude that can be changed.

And they would claim it's just "poking fun" at people whose face turns gorilla-like when angry.

Ridiculous straw man

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess

If you can't see the overwhelming difference in context there, I pity you.

Ridiculous straw man

If you can't see the overwhelming difference in context there, I pity you.

Please explain the difference and logical fallacy.

Stop being ridiculous.

You clearly haven’t got the slightest clue.

The appropriation of the means of economic production and the removal of the inalienable rights to private property is classic communism. I think I have more than a clue about the Green's.

I get the impression that you've joined a party that you don't really understand. That, or the party itself doesn't. Either way, that's your issue not mine since it's such a fringe position that it's irrelevant in the UK.

Please explain the difference and logical fallacy.

Unfortunately, affluent middle-class liberals believe racism against an ethnic group can only exist if it is a systemic oppression. This is a form of internalised racism and conveniently allows them to advocate and support discrimination against people based upon the colour of their (white) skin while allowing them to keep their supposedly anti-racist views intact.

Hence the bizarre situation where mockingly comparing the appearance of middle-aged white males to a dead pig is completely acceptable and to be encouraged. But mocking the appearance of a non-white person is totally forbidden, racist and punishable by imprisonment for hate crime.

Edited by Car Boot

Mocking someone for their appearance isn't racism no matter how you try to spin it.

Mocking someone for their appearance isn't racism no matter how you try to spin it.

So you want to bring back the blackface performers of 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' because, according to your very misguided view, mocking someone for their appearance is definitely NOT racist?

Mocking the appearance, specifically the skin colour, of a group of people for behaving in a stereotypical manner has always been racist. Full stop. Please stop trying to redefine what constitutes racist behaviour just so it conforms to current affluent middle-class liberal trends of thought.

So you want to bring back the blackface performers of 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' because, according to your very misguided view, mocking someone for their appearance is definitely NOT racist?

Not if you're mocking their attire and anyone can have a bad hair day ;)

Mocking the appearance, specifically the skin colour, of a group of people for behaving in a stereotypical manner has always been racist. Full stop. Please stop trying to redefine what constitutes racist behaviour just so it conforms to current affluent middle-class liberal trends of thought.

Hey, out of interest, is this emoticon: :rant: racist/discriminatory?

I've read this thread with some sense of irony as it seems those most vocal in their indignation here were also the first to decry any efforts to address the significant under-representation/racial bias in organisations throughout the nation, steadfastly refusing to offer any alternative solutions... make of that what you will :roll:

Regardless, after reading through the thread I can't help but get the feeling that the real reason for such OTT indignation is that, truth be told, the "gammon" meme is actually fairly concise and fair to some of those it's aimed at and who are most upset about it.

Deep down, if they can be honest with themselves, I have a feeling that some people know it's not actually that far from the mark. That's really what they find so... unappealing :?

Anyway, in the end the ship will right itself because everyone knows that ultimately, "Love is colour blind!" :nod:

Edited by Magilla

Anyway, in the end the ship will right itself because everyone knows that ultimately, "Love is colour blind!" :nod:

Sadly, I think that racism goes to the dark heart of human nature, specifically the part that wants to shut out anyone not from our own tribe.

It's clearly a vote winner. However, that does not make it right.

Worth remembering that every hegemony in history - Rome, Tang, Mongol, Dutch, British, American - thrived by being more tolerant of diversity than its rivals. And every one failed when it stopped embracing that diversity. If 15th-16th century Spain had hated Jews and Muslims a little less we'd probably be posting in Spanish right now.

Edited by Stoatwobbler