Loch Ness Monster??

Its only got to swim about 7km to get from the sea to the loch and part of the river is tidal, it might have died just after the picture was taken, or it might have turn round and swam back out to sea. I have no idea if it's actually possible for a fish that size to swim the river and canal system and I didn't say it was a shark, just that it looks like one.

Distance wise, a bit short of the mark but Nessie would either need a windlass or a bit of cash to pay the lock keepers. There are 20+ locks between the North Sea & Loch Ness, so a bit of an issue for a big monster.

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

Its only got to swim about 7km to get from the sea to the loch and part of the river is tidal, it might have died just after the picture was taken, or it might have turn round and swam back out to sea. I have no idea if it's actually possible for a fish that size to swim the river and canal system and I didn't say it was a shark, just that it looks like one.

Distance wise, a bit short of the mark but Nessie would either need a windlass or a bit of cash to pay the lock keepers. There are 20+ locks between the North Sea & Loch Ness, so a bit of an issue for a big monster.

20 locks? Where are they then? I thought it was a straight run from Loch Ness to the Moray Firth..

Edited by nikki-red
fixed the quote

20 locks? Where are they then? I thought it was a straight run from Loch Ness to the Moray Firth..

Moray Firth begins or ends, depending which way you're heading at Inverness. There's a load of locks to negotiate between there & Loch Ness. It is the Caledonian Canal afterall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_Canal

Moray Firth begins or ends, depending which way you're heading at Inverness. There's a load of locks to negotiate between there & Loch Ness. It is the Caledonian Canal afterall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_Canal

There aren't 20 between Loch Ness and Inverness... I think there are 2....the River Ness also runs parallel to the canal..

There aren't 20 between Loch Ness and Inverness... I think there are 2....the River Ness also runs parallel to the canal..

I think the River Ness has always been seen as the main point of ingress for any large creature (Seals for example have been known to swim well up the river in the past).

As for the photo, one of the main culprits for mis-identification which has been put forward in the past are large Sturgeon fish and you know, that photo doesn't look a million miles away from what a big Sturgeon would look like from above..

6 locks I believe from Loch Ness to Inverness.

Angel1.

6 locks I believe from Loch Ness to Inverness.

Angel1.

But none on the River Ness,obviously,that was my point... :)

But none on the River Ness,obviously,that was my point... :)

There are weirs though and it's not that deep in places - they built the canal because the river wasn't navigable after all. Large sea animals might find it difficult to negotiate the river.

It wasn't there last year when I was in Scotland, but I am going this year again!

Looking forward to haggis, Nessie monster and that delicious pork sandwiches with haggis in Edinburgh, near the parlament.

It wasn't there last year when I was in Scotland, but I am going this year again!

Looking forward to haggis, Nessie monster and that delicious pork sandwiches with haggis in Edinburgh, near the parlament.

I hope they catch the haggises humanely :suspect: