Over 100 M&S stores to close in total by 2022

Yes, most of what we’re offices above shops on say, Pinstone Street, that used to employ folk that consumed food and shopped, are now one bed apartments. Please tell me what is so wonderful about a city centre that looked better after the Luftwaffe had done it’s stuff?

I don’t intend to get into an argument with you, I have my opinion, you have yours, job done.

No argument from me - but seeing as you asked me a question it would be rude not to answer it.

Seeing as you mentioned Pinstone Street - the next time you walk down there look at the beautiful architecture above the shop fronts opposite the Peace Gardens. Walk up Church Street and ,not only admire the cathedral and the adjoining Georgian buildings but also admire the line of building including the Cutlers Hall. Paradise Square - if you've been there I don't have to tell you how beautiful it is.

Have you been inside the Town Hall ? Have you looked around the City Hall - a beautiful example of Art Deco from the 1930's - as is the library building on Surrey Street.

Have you taken time to stand and look at the Lyceum theatre building in Tudor Square ?

I could go on and on. Sheffield city centre has some amazing buildings and I haven't mentioned the 21st century bulidings.

I would love to take you around town and prove to you that Sheffield isn't a 'dump' - you just need to look above the shop fronts.

Just my opinion remember :D

Edited by Daven

I would love to take you around town and prove to you that Sheffield isn't a 'dump' - you just need to look above the shop fronts.

agreed Daven. I wonder why some of those lovely buildings haven't been developed into apartments. Lovely big windows, and from the outside they certainly don't look occupied, other than maybe the ground and first floors. They'd make much more interesting accommodation than the new build boxes.

No argument from me - but seeing as you asked me a question it would be rude not to answer it.

Seeing as you mentioned Pinstone Street - the next time you walk down there look at the beautiful architecture above the shop fronts opposite the Peace Gardens. Walk up Church Street and ,not only admire the cathedral and the adjoining Georgian buildings but also admire the line of building including the Cutlers Hall. Paradise Square - if you've been there I don't have to tell you how beautiful it is.

Have you been inside the Town Hall ? Have you looked around the City Hall - a beautiful example of Art Deco from the 1930's - as is the library building on Surrey Street.

Have you taken time to stand and look at the Lyceum theatre building in Tudor Square ?

I could go on and on. Sheffield city centre has some amazing buildings and I haven't mentioned the 21st century bulidings.

No need to take me around, I remember Sheffield City Centre as a busy, bustling place, full of folk with some purpose in life, if blinkered folk like you have your way, there soon be tumble weed blowing down Fargate.

R.I.P. Sheffield City Centre

They are shutting shops yet opening an m and s deli at St James retail park. Why open new stores if you are struggling.

They are shutting shops yet opening an m and s deli at St James retail park. Why open new stores if you are struggling.

Maybe the food side is doing OK? Wouldn't you want to expand the profitable side of a business and rationalise the bits that are losing money?

I'd read they were planning on opening something like 65 simply food stores, but narrowed it to 25.

I do believe a lot of the trouble is down to the previous expansions tho with all these big companies and then future market forces make it untenable eventually

One news item today envisaged the food and clothes parts eventually diverging (or maybe one being bought by another company).

Now that's what I call 'separates'.

No need to take me around, I remember Sheffield City Centre as a busy, bustling place, full of folk with some purpose in life, if blinkered folk like you have your way, there soon be tumble weed blowing down Fargate.

R.I.P. Sheffield City Centre

I beg to differ.

You DO need a guided tour around the city centre as it's quite evident you walk around with your eyes firmly shut and are unable to accept that the city has changed.

Time moves on and Sheffield is moving into a different era - slowly, admittedly, but your idea of what it was like in the 70's isn't very 21st century is it ?

We have to move forwards and embrace 2018 - not harp on about how it was in your day.

The blinkers really are on you my dear.

Edited by Daven

I beg to differ.

You DO need a guided tour around the city centre as it's quite evident you walk around with your eyes firmly shut and are unable to accept that the city has changed.

Time moves on and Sheffield is moving into a different era - slowly, admittedly, but your idea of what it was like in the 70's isn't very 21st century is it ?

We have to move forwards and embrace 2018 - not harp on about how it was in your day.

The blinkers really are on you my dear.

Good luck, you’ll need it, but what the hell, at least you’re interested.