Bulgaria? Anyone been? Hints tips?

I know someone who has bought an apartment there because it is much cheaper than Greece and Spain, I've stayed a few times and love it, if you go to Sunny Beach it is loud and lively but the little village next door is St Vlas and lovely. You have a few shops, family run restaurants and the usual church square where the locals sit chatting every day. It's cheap and friendly which reminds me of Greece.

I can recommend a clean and all inclusive hotel which is on the beach it is the Seneva Beach Hotel in St Vlas you'll be surprised how cheap it is for what you get.

Somebody who actually knows what he is talking about here,well done.

I went to Bulgaria with my parents, as a kid. We stayed at a campsite on the shore of Lake Balaton. Unfortunately, I had sunstroke for the duration and had to stay in the tent as a means of avoiding certain sun-death, eating nothing more than Vesta Chow Mein and Fray Bentos rations. I seem to remember beautiful scenery though and wouldn't mind going back, armed appropriately this time with factor 185. Better than Switzerland anyway.

I went to Bulgaria with my parents, as a kid. We stayed at a campsite on the shore of Lake Balaton. Unfortunately, I had sunstroke for the duration and had to stay in the tent as a means of avoiding certain sun-death, eating nothing more than Vesta Chow Mein and Fray Bentos rations. I seem to remember beautiful scenery though and wouldn't mind going back, armed appropriately this time with factor 185. Better than Switzerland anyway.

I don't think you stayed on the shore of Balaton in Bulgaria mate,that lake is in Hungary.

I don't think you stayed on the shore of Balaton in Bulgaria mate,that lake is in Hungary.

Ooops! … silly me! Yeah, we were on a camping holiday and did Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania (as well as all the other countries on the way). Just forgot which country Lake Balaton's in (Long time ago!) :)

So anyway, Hungary's nice too.

Edited by Alcoblog
Niceties to Hungary

Ooops! … silly me! Yeah, we were on a camping holiday and did Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania (as well as all the other countries on the way). Just forgot which country Lake Balaton's in (Long time ago!) :)

So anyway, Hungary's nice too.

Yep,still not been to Balaton or Hungary,only through it,but probably will get there one day,Romania I go every year and it's such a great place to visit I look at it like my second home now.

Got to giggle to myself reading some of the posts as my grandparents went last year and said they liked Bulgaria but said SB was too quiet for them. Mind you their favourite resort is Las Americas!

They left with a very good impression of Bulgaria. I know a tip from them would be to get to know the local people as well as you can. They spoke of how friendly the locals were - a wonderful family invited them for a traditional meal in their home.

Also, for the ladies, buy the locally made creams made from rose petals - I'm told it's excellent and costs next to nothing there but you would pay tons more here for something of the same quality. A quick google reveals Bulgaria is no1 producer of rose oil.

Edited by Lex Luthor

OK if you like stew every day, poor food and drunks abound. Awful place and you are only allowed where they want you to see. It speaks volumes when the UK is awash with Bulgarians vacating their country ... what does that tell you?

As for Romania, give that a miss, its even worse than Bulgaria.

You clearly have never been to either country.

Pete - I can't speak for the resort as I've never been but both Romania and Bulgaria are excellent places to visit, no worse than the UK and a lot cheaper to boot with a deal of history and country to explore.

The people are friendly although outside the resorts you may have a language issue unless you speak German (or one of the Slavic languages) but the above description is so very wrong from my experience it's laughable.

The only think I will say is make sure food is cooked fresh and stick to bottled water/beer or hot drinks. I've had an upset belly before whilst there mainly because it's just different water from home if you get my drift and you are possibly not used to the microflora they have...

Oh and make sure you try the local wine and the plum brandy. Excellent stuff.

I have been to a Bulgarian Ski resort (Borovets) and it was the steadiest place I have ever visited.

We have been to SB for the last 2 years and it's great! You will love it, visit old town Nessebar as well it's lovely

Anyone any advice on taking money? Hypothetically, lets say I wanted to spend £1,000 (unlikely, but it's a nice round figure)...How much Bulgarian Lev would I need to order here to take with me? Can my normal Visa debit card be used over there to withdraw money at ATM machines?...Is it even safe to use a local ATM?

Obviously I wouldn't want to be carrying too much actual cash around...

Anyone?

Take say £400 worth with you that you get from the PO - best rates that way. Draw the rest if faily large chunks from the cash machines so you minimise the transaction costs.

Romania and Bulgaria are both more cash oriented than we are so I wouldn't bet on having card accepted all places but I bet in a proper resort you just set a tab up on a card and settle it once a week or evening.

Take say £400 worth with you that you get from the PO - best rates that way. Draw the rest if faily large chunks from the cash machines so you minimise the transaction costs.

Romania and Bulgaria are both more cash oriented than we are so I wouldn't bet on having card accepted all places but I bet in a proper resort you just set a tab up on a card and settle it once a week or evening.

That's what I assumed (being mostly cash orientated)...I thought it might be unlikely places would accept card payments...

I also have a feeling I need to inform my bank that withdrawals are likely from Bulgaria, as they might stop my card thinking my card had been cloned or something.??

Didn't think of transaction costs!!!!....I'll check and see what they might be!

Generally...Are hotel 'safes' secure.