Just pulled by Police for no insurance.

I would love to know how many police cars have ANPR, it must be a great help for the police?

I stopped having PNC many years ago after I discovered it was really just a waste of time....Your PNC (unless it has changed) will only apply with the present Ins company you are with,"it does not travel"..so to speak.In the event of an accident when your Ins renewal comes round ...as everyone knows...it is always lots more than the previous year because they are more interested in giving new customer's bigger discounts than looking after loyal ones.I always shop around,and (usually) always get a better deal on comparison sites.If you are unlucky enough to have a claim and try to go elsewhere on your renewal... if you think it is too much... you will probably find your PNC is no good and only applies with your present company,with any other you will have to state a claim and the Insurance company will base your quote on this likely with a loss of NCD.So in reality the present Ins company have you by the short and curlies and can charge whatever they like.If I am wrong on this and things have changed then someone will say.Give the insurance a bell and ask them.

Even if you stay with the same company pnc is limited. Say you have 70% discount due to no claims at all in the last 5 years and it's protected and then you have a claim, you retain the discount but move from a low risk category to higher risk and then get 70% off a higher amount. That said, if it's cheap enough (my insurance co charge £20 for pnc), it's still better than moving to no discount in a higher risk category.

Many years ago, well before everything was electronic, I was once stopped by the police and subsequently had to produce my documents at a police station.

When I did this, the desk officer noticed that the registration number on the MOT certificate was out by one character, and so wouldn't accept it. Everything else was in order.

I had to go back to the testing station for a replacement. This would involve him, in effect, giving me a new back-dated certificate with the correct number. At first he refused to give me one saying that he couldn't, in law, as he wasn't allowed to back-dated an MOT. Although he was prepared to give me one to cover the remaining period of the original certificate, ie only part of a year. This was no good to me as it didn't cover the time when I had been stopped, so the police wouldn't accept it.

In the end, after I had threatened to sue, and get him some bad publicity through the local paper he relented and gave me a back-dated certificate, so I was OK.

I don't know if he was being truthful when he said he couldn't give me a back-dated certificate, and so was breaking the law when he subsequently did, but it seemed to make sense as he was prepared to give me one for the rest of the year. I also don't know if I would really have had grounds to sue. I didn't mind what the reason was, I was just relieved that it had been sorted.

I've been careful to check documents since.

In the days of hand writing the mot ticket you could not get away with issuing a back dated ticket as they were all entered in a log book by ticket number and it would have stood out like a sore thumb.I would have issued a duplicate with the correct details,not really a perfect solution but no one would be the wiser.

In the days of hand writing the mot ticket you could not get away with issuing a back dated ticket as they were all entered in a log book by ticket number and it would have stood out like a sore thumb.I would have issued a duplicate with the correct details,not really a perfect solution but no one would be the wiser.

Why would anyone be issuing a back dated certificate anyway? :suspect: All they had to do was create a "Replacement" certificate with the necessary changes that where incorrect on the original. The issue date and expiry date would have been exactly the same, unless they where incorrect on the original.

Replacement certificates are perfectly legitimate under the MOT testing scheme and tester's are trained on how to fill them in correctly.

Don't mix up a "Duplicate" and "Replacement" by the way as a duplicate is exactly that, with no changes made.

Maybe it was a duplicate, but it was still written out several months after the original test took place. I don't really understand the difference. Where would he get the duplicate certificate from, if not out of the book of blank certificates? So a duplicate would still stand out as having an out of sequence date, wouldn't it?

---------- Post added 12-01-2016 at 22:44 ----------

Why would anyone be issuing a back dated certificate anyway? :suspect: All they had to do was create a "Replacement" certificate with the necessary changes that where incorrect on the original. The issue date and expiry date would have been exactly the same, unless they where incorrect on the original.

Replacement certificates are perfectly legitimate under the MOT testing scheme and tester's are trained on how to fill them in correctly.

Don't mix up a "Duplicate" and "Replacement" by the way as a duplicate is exactly that, with no changes made.

I don't understand the differences, but the tester certainly didn't see it as straight forward. At first he would only give me a corrected certificate for the outstanding period of the original test. I took this in to the police station, but of course they didn't accept it, as it didn't cover the time that I was actually stopped. So I had to go back and argue the toss, before finally getting one for the whole year.

I used to shop around but had a car stolen just over a year ago and would have to declare that if I moved insurer. What worries me is that my company has moved my NCD to my wife without even asking me. This is something I have to fathom as we will be reverting to a car each soon rather than sharing one and alternating the insurance so we both maintain our NCD.

If you had a car stolen and made a claim over a year ago (i.e. outside the scope of the time period of your current yearly policy), then even with the same insurance company your claims history should include that and your insurance cost should factor that in as a risk.

I had a car written off when it was parked last year and I claimed on the other person's insurance, when my renewal note came through this year the accident was missing. When I queried it, I was told it should be there even though it was their mistake for not having it on the renewal note. Again, goes back to checking the docs properly as it's my responsibility to do so. Didn't change the cost of the insurance mind.

I don't understand the differences,

Pretty straight forward, a "Duplicate" was a carbon copy of your original certificate and a "Replacement" was a carbon copy of your original but with any mistakes corrected ie wrong reg number, expiry date, mileage wrong, chassis number wrong, and so forth. A test certificate also has up to 13 months with a minimum of 12 months, there is no such thing as like a 3 month test certificate.

Forgive me for being a little sceptical but I don't think you are being fully truthful or the person who issued the replacement was a right clown, if its the latter I apologise unreservedly.

Was it the tester who originally tested it who issued the replacement or another tester? or a receptionist/non tester?

Pretty straight forward, a "Duplicate" was a carbon copy of your original certificate and a "Replacement" was a carbon copy of your original but with any mistakes corrected ie wrong reg number, expiry date, mileage wrong, chassis number wrong, and so forth. A test certificate also has up to 13 months with a minimum of 12 months, there is no such thing as like a 3 month test certificate.

Forgive me for being a little sceptical but I don't think you are being fully truthful or the person who issued the replacement was a right clown, if its the latter I apologise unreservedly.

Was it the tester who originally tested it who issued the replacement or another tester? or a receptionist/non tester?

The whole event was nearly 40 years ago so I don't remember the exact details of what the replacement was called, but I distinctly remember being given a "replacement" which was for a part year only, ie from the date he wrote it up to the expiry date of the original certificate, and him saying he wasn't allowed to give me one showing the original date. I was young and naive and assumed he knew what he was doing, so accepted it and took it to the police station, which of course wouldn't accept it. I remember being very stressed as I was running out of time to show the documents to the police. I went back and acted more forcefully, mostly out of fear of being done by the police for no MOT. He finally relented and gave me one showing the correct test period, so don't know why he couldn't do that the first time around. I don't know if the new one showed him as signing it asxif it were the original test date, or the date on which he wrote the new one.

---------- Post added 12-01-2016 at 23:40 ----------

The whole event was nearly 40 years ago so I don't remember the exact details of what the replacement was called, but I distinctly remember being given a "replacement" which was for a part year only, ie from the date he wrote it up to the expiry date of the original certificate, and him saying he wasn't allowed to give me one showing the original date. I was young and naive and assumed he knew what he was doing, so accepted it and took it to the police station, which of course wouldn't accept it. I remember being very stressed as I was running out of time to show the documents to the police. I went back and acted more forcefully, mostly out of fear of being done by the police for no MOT. He finally relented and gave me one showing the correct test period, so don't know why he couldn't do that the first time around. I don't know if the new one showed him as signing it as if it were the original test date, or the date on which he wrote the new one. I was just relieved that it got sorted and the police were satisfied.

Edited by Eater Sundae