Sign in to follow this  

Bridging Payment for women coming up to retirement

Was a little bit bored and fancied a sleep yesterday so I watched parliament. The debate in question was for those women who were coming up to retirement. Most now have had there finishing date changed twice. It continued to give information about various problems that various ladies had encountered generally about never being notified of the two date changes. The debate went on for about 3 hrs discussing bridging payments and if they should be allowed. The vote came for 186 to nil. Then the MP's were then told as it was a back bench debate the government were not obliged to take notice of the result. At the height I think that there was about a dozen conservatives and at the end about 4. What is the point that is a waste of 3 hours of MP's lives if nothing is taken notice of.

At one time, and it may still be case, MPs used to get extra pay if they stood up and commented in parliament.

Was a little bit bored and fancied a sleep yesterday so I watched parliament. The debate in question was for those women who were coming up to retirement. Most now have had there finishing date changed twice. It continued to give information about various problems that various ladies had encountered generally about never being notified of the two date changes. The debate went on for about 3 hrs discussing bridging payments and if they should be allowed. The vote came for 186 to nil. Then the MP's were then told as it was a back bench debate the government were not obliged to take notice of the result. At the height I think that there was about a dozen conservatives and at the end about 4. What is the point that is a waste of 3 hours of MP's lives if nothing is taken notice of.

Because they get the opportunity to raise it. They will take notice in the sense they will have known what the debate was and issues raised, but its their entitlement of being the government with a majority that they get to decide what their policies are.

The fact its been debated ives a chance for a change in policy, so its worth it.