Sign in to follow this  

Dispatches C4 9pm 6 May

After our many little tete a tetes on here re asylum issues this may spark a talking point later on.

It may ignite all the old arguments in which case I'll wonder why I bothered flagging it up but it may enlighten us on both sides of the debate.

Well I watched it and seeing as I don't like it when nobody answers a new thread then I'll answer it myself.

Max, Belle et al are you all ready for this ****bid drum roll******

I thought the residents of Lee on Solent were a big bunch of racists. They were an embarrasment in their half thought out arguments and in some cases thuggish remarks.

I have to admit that it opened my eyes no end but they must have made an impact because they did win their case at the end of the day.

My cynical side makes me wonder if much cutting was required to make the residents look such pompous toss pots or if they did it all by themselves.

I nearly cracked up when a very county type group of women were filmed singing Christmas songs....... 'I'm dreaming of a White Christmas'. Was this taking the micky or what for heavens sake.

I'm off down to Lee on Solent this very afternoon and will take your message of greetings with me. (My father lives there).

Max you weren't the secret Bannerman were you?

I have some sympathy with the residents (I don't think a seaside village would be the best place for asylum seekers to stay) but some of their viewpoints made quite disturbing viewing.

'Let them die in their own country, they'll go off to a better place'

'Our women won't be safe. They'll all be attacked on the beach during summer'

'London is more like Baghdad than Lee on Solent is; send them there'

etc

:loopy:

I wonder how much of this was a Labour government trying to get one over on a staunchly Tory council? I don't think Lee on Solent will have heard the last of it yet...