Car Mot queary ideas please

A friend of mine is on holiday and was due back last week, but hes broken his leg and wont be back till end of the month, he texted to say his car was due for its first MOT and could I take it for him.

I told him he could wait till he gets back and take it as long as hes booked in for the test and only drives it to go straight there, am I right in saying this?

What you drive the car?

Are you insured on it?

I think it's ok if it's not driven on the roads. You are then allowed to drive an un-MOTd car to a booked MOT appointment legally.

In any instance he would probably be OK. I forgot mine completely this year, for 3 months, and drove through dozens of ANPR motorway cameras almost daily, with no letter or fine etc - which I would have accepted, as I was in the wrong. Crap system to pick up non-compliant cars imo.

Anyway, he should be fine on the first paragraph.

I think it's ok if it's not driven on the roads. You are then allowed to drive an un-MOTd car to a booked MOT appointment legally.

In any instance he would probably be OK. I forgot mine completely this year, for 3 months, and drove through dozens of ANPR motorway cameras almost daily, with no letter or fine etc - which I would have accepted, as I was in the wrong. Crap system to pick up non-compliant cars imo.

Anyway, he should be fine on the first paragraph.

I think the old system where all vehicles had to display a tax disc was more sensible than the new system. A physical tax disc was a reminder to the vehicle driver and a deterrent not to attempt to avoid road duty. Something like forgetting the expiry date of an MOT is easily done. My garage and the AA send me a reminder when my MOT is due. My insurance company send me a reminder when my insurance runs out. However, being illegal on the roads can easily happen due to oversights.

I think the old system where all vehicles had to display a tax disc was more sensible than the new system. A physical tax disc was a reminder to the vehicle driver and a deterrent not to attempt to avoid road duty. Something like forgetting the expiry date of an MOT is easily done. My garage and the AA send me a reminder when my MOT is due. My insurance company send me a reminder when my insurance runs out. However, being illegal on the roads can easily happen due to oversights.

You get a reminder about VED nearly a month before it's due to renew.

True, as lockdoctor says other parts have reminders too.

My MOT and car tax are out of sync, so even I forgot MOT, it would have been ages until VED couldn't be done.

I'll set it up on my AA, if that can be done. Also why don't DVLA offer a text reminder for a couple of quid? Money for old rope and a bit more in their christamas kitty err I mean government funds.

I'd also have the ANPRs doing it. I know I would have fell foul of it, but it needs getting on top of.

True, as lockdoctor says other parts have reminders too.

My MOT and car tax are out of sync, so even I forgot MOT, it would have been ages until VED couldn't be done.

I'll set it up on my AA, if that can be done. Also why don't DVLA offer a text reminder for a couple of quid? Money for old rope and a bit more in their christamas kitty err I mean government funds.

I'd also have the ANPRs doing it. I know I would have fell foul of it, but it needs getting on top of.

They do.. for free

https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

A friend of mine is on holiday and was due back last week, but hes broken his leg and wont be back till end of the month, he texted to say his car was due for its first MOT and could I take it for him.

I told him he could wait till he gets back and take it as long as hes booked in for the test and only drives it to go straight there, am I right in saying this?

As long as it's not kept on the highway then you dont need an MOT.

You (or anyone) can drive a vehicle to or from a prebooked MOT OR to a place of repair OR for the purposes of road testing a repaired vehicle prior to an MOT test.

You don't have to use the nearest test centre either. I've come off a ferry from France with an expired UK MOT and driven to a Leeds test centre and thats perfectly legal.

Yes, that's true. But as I get older I forget things more easily than I use to. It would make more sense, if all vehicles had to display, road tax, insurance and mot information on the windscreen and it wouldn't take up much space.

---------- Post added 11-10-2018 at 16:56 ----------

As long as it's not kept on the highway then you dont need an MOT.

You (or anyone) can drive a vehicle to or from a prebooked MOT OR to a place of repair OR for the purposes of road testing a repaired vehicle prior to an MOT test.

You don't have to use the nearest test centre either. I've come off a ferry from France with an expired UK MOT and driven to a Leeds test centre and thats perfectly legal.

Good information, which will help the original poster.

Thanks for your replies, sorted now

Yes, that's true. But as I get older I forget things more easily than I use to. It would make more sense, if all vehicles had to display, road tax, insurance and mot information on the windscreen and it wouldn't take up much space..

Nothing to stop you writing a reminder of your own and putting it in the car...