IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Hillsborough arcade salesmen

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

12-10-2018, 16:23   #21
spotty dog

Total Posts: 2,706
Just do what I do and pretend to be on the phone ... they fall for it every time ... just make sure you flick it on silent beforehand ��
12-10-2018, 17:36   #22
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 76,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotty dog View Post
Just do what I do and pretend to be on the phone ... they fall for it every time ... just make sure you flick it on silent beforehand ��
We shouldn’t have to do anything as they shouldn’t be there. Do they pay any money to the owners of the arcade ?
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
12-10-2018, 18:05   #23
Eater Sundae

Total Posts: 7,183
I don’t see the problem. I just say “No thank you” or “I’m not interested”, followed by “Goodbye”, and the carry on walking.
12-10-2018, 18:29   #24
mickey finn

Total Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater Sundae View Post
I don’t see the problem. I just say “No thank you” or “I’m not interested”, followed by “Goodbye”, and the carry on walking.
Always worked for me, I've never had to tell one of them to eff off, it would make me more rude than them, I have never had my day ruined by one of them.
_______
Ask yourself what would Chuck Google Norris say.
12-10-2018, 18:54   #25
choogling

Total Posts: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-minx92 View Post
For not doing something about something they know nothing about??
the management should know that is the whole point.
14-10-2018, 09:36   #26
Hayley1

Total Posts: 3,038
I know it can be annoying but encountering these chaps at the weekend, it was enough to say politely "no thank you" and walk on. They were certainly polite and not overly pushy. They have bills to pay, the same as you and I. Would you rather they were on benefits? I should imagine it's a soul destroying job. Imagine if in your job you were consistently ignored, given the bird (as a chap in front of me did as he walked past them) and verbally abused, and got very little out of it in your wage packet day in day out....I'm not suggesting that you stop and be given the whole sales pitch, but give em a break! This may just be a stop gap job while they find something better so they can keep their heads above water. God forbid you find yourselves in that position.
14-10-2018, 10:27   #27
Ducky1

Total Posts: 1,176
1st Utilites stopped me yesterday in precinct, said no thank you and he persisted to follow me asking me to let them quote. If I want to change I will do it my own way not be pestered.
14-10-2018, 12:04   #28
Top Cats Hat

Total Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley1 View Post

They have bills to pay, the same as you and I.
I have always been conflicted about this.

While I agree with you that everyone has the right to earn a crust, it has to be balanced against the rights of others to just get on with their life without being harassed.

I'm not so bothered by the kind of sales people this thread is discussing as they are fairly easy to avoid or ignore but telesales people are becoming a real nuisance, especially when they target people during the evening when you just want to relax, have your dinner and watch some crap on the telly without having to constantly answer the phone and fend off calls about PPI, changing your energy supplier or claiming for accidents that you haven't had.
_______
Tommy Robinson- Turning your bigotry into cold hard cash!
14-10-2018, 12:06   #29
Cyclone

Total Posts: 72,004
Are you registered with the TPS. I rarely get calls, and when I do I block that number for the future on my handset. I couldn't even tell you when I last got a sales call!
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
14-10-2018, 12:11   #30
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley1 View Post
I know it can be annoying but encountering these chaps at the weekend, it was enough to say politely "no thank you" and walk on. They were certainly polite and not overly pushy. They have bills to pay, the same as you and I. Would you rather they were on benefits? I should imagine it's a soul destroying job. Imagine if in your job you were consistently ignored, given the bird (as a chap in front of me did as he walked past them) and verbally abused, and got very little out of it in your wage packet day in day out....I'm not suggesting that you stop and be given the whole sales pitch, but give em a break! This may just be a stop gap job while they find something better so they can keep their heads above water. God forbid you find yourselves in that position.
I’ve often wanted to stop and ask if they hate their job.!
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
14-10-2018, 12:14   #31
Top Cats Hat

Total Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Are you registered with the TPS. I rarely get calls, and when I do I block that number for the future on my handset. I couldn't even tell you when I last got a sales call!
Not only have I been on the TPS for years but I don't give anyone my home or mobile numbers unless I have a good reason to, and that includes gas, electricity and water as these numbers can be sold on.

Also many of these calls are made by random number generators who neither know nor care whether you are on the TPS. And some of these calls are from companies or agencies that the previous holder of my phone number had contact with who claim to be exempt from the TPS if you called them first, even if that was 15 years ago!
_______
Tommy Robinson- Turning your bigotry into cold hard cash!
14-10-2018, 12:17   #32
nikki-red
Pyjama addict

Total Posts: 55,067
Back on topic please.
_______
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” - Joe Moore
14-10-2018, 14:15   #33
steve68

Total Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylslinn View Post
It has been bad of late different organisations plying their trade every week.
Wait until the redevelopment gets going and you have to fight your way through a building site too.
I noticed a small notice on a lamppost near wilko, looks like it's progressing I had a look online at the documents so far for the Hillsborough arcade. I can't see the local objections being listened to, I wonder where the salespeople will retreat to I guess the Barracks.

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.u...=PELBD0NYL3O00
14-10-2018, 15:07   #34
lindylou53

Total Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by choogling View Post
Had the misfortune to visit the arcade Monday afternoon it was like running the gauntlet at least ten men from different companies insistently trying to sell us stuff, had to resort to using a Latin expression more than once.
Been in today and just as annoying as the pushy salesmen are the amount of buckets all over to catch rain from the leaking roof that has been going on for years! Same at Holme Lane corner at bottom of Walkley Lane - huge puddle there for drivers to drive through and soak pedestrians.
14-10-2018, 18:17   #35
mickey finn

Total Posts: 2,714
The arcade is a tip, its like one of the last bastions of the urine brigade now the markets are gone.
_______
Ask yourself what would Chuck Google Norris say.
14-10-2018, 20:22   #36
darylslinn

Total Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey finn View Post
The arcade is a tip, its like one of the last bastions of the urine brigade now the markets are gone.
Hillsborough Arcade !
_______
Regards
Daryl.
15-10-2018, 07:30   #37
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cats Hat View Post
Not only have I been on the TPS for years but I don't give anyone my home or mobile numbers unless I have a good reason to, and that includes gas, electricity and water as these numbers can be sold on.

Also many of these calls are made by random number generators who neither know nor care whether you are on the TPS. And some of these calls are from companies or agencies that the previous holder of my phone number had contact with who claim to be exempt from the TPS if you called them first, even if that was 15 years ago!
Strange. I must be lucky, long may it continue.

They're certainly not exempt from GDPR though, so perhaps report them under that.

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
I’ve often wanted to stop and ask if they hate their job.!
Probably yes. One of my friends has just got a job in sales, doing pretty much this, selling broadband or electricity on the street.
It was that or go home to Spain and she didn't want to leave Sheffield, particularly given that it might be more difficult to get back into the UK in the future, but mainly because she's graduated and doesn't want to go back to ruralville Spain to live with her parents.
Her qualification is a masters in international law and fluency in English and Spanish. But apparently jobs are thin on the ground. So for now she's doing sales and living for free in someone's spare room until she finds real work.
_______
15-10-2018, 08:35   #38
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Strange. I must be lucky, long may it continue.

They're certainly not exempt from GDPR though, so perhaps report them under that.

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Probably yes. One of my friends has just got a job in sales, doing pretty much this, selling broadband or electricity on the street.
It was that or go home to Spain and she didn't want to leave Sheffield, particularly given that it might be more difficult to get back into the UK in the future, but mainly because she's graduated and doesn't want to go back to ruralville Spain to live with her parents.
Her qualification is a masters in international law and fluency in English and Spanish. But apparently jobs are thin on the ground. So for now she's doing sales and living for free in someone's spare room until she finds real work.
There are also many salespeople in town who half approach you but then stop when you walk straight on. Funny but Ive never seen any women salespeople.
_______
15-10-2018, 09:49   #39
Lancs_Lad

Total Posts: 497
I had more trouble dodging the buckets than the salesmen on Saturday
15-10-2018, 22:03   #40
Cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattricia View Post
There are also many salespeople in town who half approach you but then stop when you walk straight on. Funny but Ive never seen any women salespeople.
Maybe they don't last? You've probably got to have a pretty thick skin to deal with being rejected and told to f off all day long.
_______
Reply To Topic