IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Tram Trains thread

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

16-10-2018, 10:33   #261
amnicoll

Total Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleadlessLad View Post
Notices have been posted up at the tram stops today advising of timetable changes to all routes (Blue, Yellow & Purple) with effect from 25/10/18. The notices state that in some cases this is necessary to accommodate the Tram Trains, in other cases it's to improve punctuality.

I have no idea though of exactly what these changes (applicable from Thursday next week) might be, because the notices ask customers to access the details via www.supertram.com - yet the new timetables don't seem to be available on that website at the moment...
Have they taken away the old fares list and replaced it or are they still displaying the announcement of the increases and the old ones?

If they are making changes to improve punctuality (not those to accommodate the tram train) does this mean the last changes were ineffective?
16-10-2018, 12:39   #262
GleadlessLad

Total Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnicoll View Post
Have they taken away the old fares list and replaced it or are they still displaying the announcement of the increases and the old ones?

If they are making changes to improve punctuality (not those to accommodate the tram train) does this mean the last changes were ineffective?
I didn't look re. the fares list - I did notice though that it seems apparent that the Purple Route will no longer be running to Meadowhall on those days which it currently does (Suns & BHs) - presumably folk travelling towards town on the Purple Route will be expected to change in town for Meadowhall on Suns & BHs, as they do at the moment on weekdays & Sats.

Re. punctuality, the notices state that Purple trams will be leaving Herdings & Gleadless earlier on weekdays with a comment about this being due to traffic - hence seems to make it clear that this is to improve punctuality. Therefore, yes I'm guessing that the January timetable revision wasn't too effective re. punctuality improvements for that route? This supposition has certainly been borne out by experience, I use this route to & from work & things have been no better at all since the January changes were made to the timings for that service.
16-10-2018, 13:05   #263
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,482
The Yellow and blue changes are literally the odd minute around cathedral and Tinsley so they aren't at junctions at the same time as tram train which could cause delays.

The current Purple benefits from long layover at Herdings so can be relied upon for a right time start but there are some morning peak trams that regularly get stuck in traffic around Gleadless, Manor Top and City Road so will be leaving Herdings 3 mins earlier, arriving in town at the same time.

The Sunday extension to Meadowhall had a purpose of supplementing the Yellow route at busy shopping times, the tram train takes over that role.

The new times should be in the online journey planner.
16-10-2018, 14:45   #264
GleadlessLad

Total Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post

The new times should be in the online journey planner.
Thanks Andy - however Supertram's journey planner continues to show the current Purple Route tram times from Herdings for weekday travel dates on & after 25th October hence it seems apparent that the journey planner hasn't yet been updated?

Incidentally the Purple tram towards town (due at Townend at 07:24) often doesn't appear at the top of the hill just after the Leighton Rd stop until at or after that time, despite usually only light traffic at that time in the morning. On some occasions I've boarded this service at Herdings Park & the tram's departed from the terminus several minutes late, despite having arrived there on time i.e. several minutes prior to the time it's due out. So while it seems to be a good idea to bring forward the departure time to allow for traffic, I still wonder whether Supertram will actually provide a service in accordance with their timetable?

Last edited by GleadlessLad; 16-10-2018 at 14:49.
16-10-2018, 15:06   #265
Andy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GleadlessLad View Post
Thanks Andy - however Supertram's journey planner continues to show the current Purple Route tram times from Herdings for weekday travel dates on & after 25th October hence it seems apparent that the journey planner hasn't yet been updated?

Incidentally the Purple tram towards town (due at Townend at 07:24) often doesn't appear at the top of the hill just after the Leighton Rd stop until at or after that time, despite usually only light traffic at that time in the morning. On some occasions I've boarded this service at Herdings Park & the tram's departed from the terminus several minutes late, despite having arrived there on time i.e. several minutes prior to the time it's due out. So while it seems to be a good idea to bring forward the departure time to allow for traffic, I still wonder whether Supertram will actually provide a service in accordance with their timetable?
Actually looks like there may be a problem with the journey planner
16-10-2018, 18:33   #266
Yorky13

Total Posts: 12
Will Parkgate have dedicated car parking for passengers leaving their cars there and then using the tram-train into Sheffield?

I have asked SYPTE and still waiting for a reply.
16-10-2018, 19:03   #267
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 2,476
The Parkgate stop is owned by Network Rail.
The land at Parkgate is privately owned and the parking is/was operated by Total Parking Solutions.
SYPTE have no Park and Ride facilities in the area.

If Parkgate Retail see an advantage in allowing parking for the TT then TPS
will no doubt be instructed accordingly.
Any disadvantage will soon see restrictions going up.

As it is a trial for two years maybe it will be a 'wait and see' situation.
Future planning permissions might be dependent on some TT parking.
16-10-2018, 20:28   #268
lesserthan1

Total Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky13 View Post
I have asked SYPTE and still waiting for a reply.
That's probably because it's got nowt to do with you.

Seriously, why do the people here want to run everything down? This tram extension has the ability to save the future of the supertram if it's a success and could even lead to expansions again in the future if lessons have been learned (I'm sure they will have).

If we all just moan and complain about it we'll be like our grandparents generation but we'll get to tell the younguns stories about "catchin t'tram ter Medderall all t'way from Hillsborough. Eee it only cost £2.40 and took twenty minutes, and look what we've got now!"

I shudder to think what we'd end up with. Maybe more yellow bikes again? Could be flying cars but no doubt Sheffield council would find a way to block them and much rather we brought back the horse and cart so they could implement a dung tax.
16-10-2018, 20:39   #269
darylslinn

Total Posts: 617
They've been creating parking spaces next to the tram train stop at Parkgate around the back of Matalan.
Either that or they are going crazy with paving on the service road.
_______
Regards
Daryl.
17-10-2018, 07:31   #270
Hook

Total Posts: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Bynnol View Post
The Parkgate stop is owned by Network Rail.
The land at Parkgate is privately owned and the parking is/was operated by Total Parking Solutions.
SYPTE have no Park and Ride facilities in the area.

If Parkgate Retail see an advantage in allowing parking for the TT then TPS
will no doubt be instructed accordingly.
Any disadvantage will soon see restrictions going up.

As it is a trial for two years maybe it will be a 'wait and see' situation.
Future planning permissions might be dependent on some TT parking.
It’s already been confirmed on the Supertram twitter feed that there will be some park and ride spaces next to the tram stop at Parkgate.
17-10-2018, 09:02   #271
Andy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
It’s already been confirmed on the Supertram twitter feed that there will be some park and ride spaces next to the tram stop at Parkgate.
There is a passenger parking area including disabled bays but the number of spaces are very limited.
17-10-2018, 11:20   #272
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
There is a passenger parking area including disabled bays but the number of spaces are very limited.
Which is a shame because there’s so much waste land around there it wouldn’t be hard to build a decent sized park and ride. If there’s nowhere for the good folk of Rotherham to park there’s no incentive for them to stop using the park and ride facilities in Sheffield (Meadowhall/Valley/Ikea).
17-10-2018, 20:48   #273
busdriver1

Total Posts: 1,764
Quote:
If there’s nowhere for the good folk of Rotherham to park there’s no incentive for them to stop using the park and ride facilities in Sheffield (Meadowhall/Valley/Ikea).
There is an assumption they are doing so already. Possibly they dont use park and ride at all.

---------- Post added 17-10-2018 at 20:50 ----------

Quote:
Which is a shame because there’s so much waste land around there it wouldn’t be hard to build a decent sized park and ride.
I doubt the provision of a park and ride site is the key to the success of this project. For many years the People of Rotherham have been very clear that they dont want the tram in Rotherham. Even with the much more sensible off road route may not be enough to rescue it.
17-10-2018, 20:51   #274
Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver1 View Post
There is an assumption they are doing so already. Possibly they dont use park and ride at all.

I doubt the provision of a park and ride site is the key to the success of this project. For many years the People of Rotherham have been very clear that they dont want the tram in Rotherham. Even with the much more sensible off road route may not be enough to rescue it.
Have a chat with them on a morning as they're boarding the tram. All the surveys data etc shows they are.
18-10-2018, 18:51   #275
busdriver1

Total Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Have a chat with them on a morning as they're boarding the tram. All the surveys data etc shows they are.
So it looks on the face of it that some passengers may be displaced from one stop to another then.
18-10-2018, 19:43   #276
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver1 View Post

I lived in Rotherham near the earlier proposed route to Hellaby. Councillors who were in favour were shouted down at a meeting by residents who were against it. I travelled to work in Sheffeld centre from Bramley for a number of years. The reduction in direct bus services (which I originally used) meant we needed a second car for my commute, I caught the tram from Carbrook or Centertainment before parking was restricted. If the tram route had been extended then, we might have stayed put. I'll use it, I like Parkgate.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
22-10-2018, 11:08   #277
goldenfleece
PURPLE HAZE

Total Posts: 6,734
I have always thought that the tram system should have connected with the Network Rail system right from the early days. There is so much potential to link up, this is just the tip of the iceberg really.
_______
http://www.rainbowmusicservices.co.uk/
Rainbow Music Services, background music for Business, Leisure and Retail
22-10-2018, 20:54   #278
Blue Day

Total Posts: 1,219
Went on a new tram/train at the weekend. Don’t use trams much.

My God aren’t they noisy??? The grinding / braking noise from the wheels. Urrgghhh
_______
It goes on and on and on and on..........
23-10-2018, 08:37   #279
dutch

Total Posts: 4,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Day View Post
Went on a new tram/train at the weekend. Don’t use trams much.

My God aren’t they noisy??? The grinding / braking noise from the wheels. Urrgghhh
Take the train to rotherham. If I were in city centre within equal distance from station as tram I walk to station and take train to rotherham, old noisy shaking rattling diesel, orchestral music to the ears.
_______
“. . . gentleness is stronger than severity, water is stronger than rock, love is stronger than force.”

Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha
23-10-2018, 10:39   #280
amnicoll

Total Posts: 301
The new tram train may be better than the Pacers from Northern Rail but give me the older Stagecoach trams any day over the Tram Train
Reply To Topic