Beauchief Golf Club 1960's-70's

I used to play at Beauchief in those days and wondered does anyone know what happened to David Clay who used to be the Professional at about this time? I did hear he was in America but not sure.

Also did his sucessor Brian English pass away?

I used to play at Beauchief in those days and wondered does anyone know what happened to David Clay who used to be the Professional at about this time? I did hear he was in America but not sure.

Used to play after school there in the 70's.

Remember EVERY sunday morning getting up early with my Dad and sitting in the car park ( think it was about 6am or so ) and waiting for the bloke to put the sheet up so you could get your name on the list for a tee off time later on in the day :gag: Then driving back home for a few hours kip :thumbsup:

Memories of my well spent youth there last orders.

Regards CB

P.S. How many golf balls did you lose on the 18th hole ???? :help:

Could never get it over the woods :rant:

Sorry I don't know the answers to the original post but seem to recall hearing that Brian had died - he'd often come in the bar at Abbeydale Sports' Club in the 70's. I also remember the name of David Clay but there was also a David Dunk around that time, too.

I probably sat in the next car to you Canadablade, I too was one of the early starters. Sometimes went straight to queue up Beauchief after Saturday night out.We always teed off at 7.30am though so we could be back to the Beauchief Hotel for opening time. The clubhouse didn't have a bar in those days.You're right about the 18th it was a bugger, spoiled some good rounds with that tee shot!

Thanks Chairboy, I knew Brian English liked a drink at Abbeydale Sports Club my brother in law used to work the bar and I remember him telling me.Sorry if he's died, he was a character.

David Dunk was I think David Clays assistant in those days.

Hello to all,

I am the widow of the late Brian Englsih and yes, sadly he did pass away in 1995 of Pancreatic cancer, we were living in Whitby then.

Is the club still going strong? My husband Brian English was the pro there, I worked in the shop for a few years until we left to go to Whitby Golf club in the early 90's.

On 26/09/2018 at 06:54, pamdun10 said:

Is the club still going strong? My husband Brian English was the pro there, I worked in the shop for a few years until we left to go to Whitby Golf club in the early 90's.

Hello Pam if you're still around, only just found this post whilst researching for a book I am writing, my Name is Ian Baker & I was assistant to Brian at Abbeydale Golf Club and also a very good friend, I went to Huddersfield as Professional before Brian went to Beauchief We used to go to The Penny Farthing together before he met you. Was it you he used to bring to the cottage I lived in on the Golf course at Huddersfield and crashed his MG on one occasion? Yes Beauchief is still going strong. regards   Ian Baker

Hi Ian

I remember Brian talking about you and I’m sure we met once or twice. Brian and I first got together in 1981, we lived in Broomhill and then Dore before moving to Whitby in 1992. I’m sure you know Brian died in 1995 of cancer of the pancreas.He was 59, I was 42.  I remarried a few years later and moved, with my 2nd husband, to Ibiza where we lived for 10 years. My husbands health was failing so we moved to Torquay (My mum was here) where I am still. I’m afraid I don’t have any photos from the era you mention, the only photos I have is one of Brian on a child’s swing with TONY Jacklin and another pro and boring wedding photos. Good to hear from you. Stay safe cheers Pam 👍

Good afternoon Pam, I've only just picked up your reply, I'm pleased you're well , I'm going back to 1968 when Brian used to bring a girlfriend to the cottage I lived in at Huddersfield, he had an MGC car which he had a minor crash in one night whilst coming over, I remember he had a job explaining it to Margaret. I used to go regularly to the Penny Farthing with Brian and we had many good times and laughs long before he met you. He and I were Jack the lads about town, stay safe with this virus, I'll be  75  in July this year,  regards   Ian Baker

Hello Ian. I am Brian’s daughter in law. Thank you for sharing details of his infidelities on such a public forum. His granddaughters were thrilled when they decided to look up their grandad who died before they were born and found this!!  I hope no-one shares similar stories about you!