Would a classic video game arcade be viable in Sheffield?

Just been watching "King of Kong" and came up with this idea. A classy venue selling selected alcoholic drinks/coffee filled with about 20-30 classic video game cabinets, Space Invaders, Pacman, Centipede, Galaxians, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, maybe up to and including games from the early 90s like Street Fighter II. Would it be viable? Adults only, no kids allowed in, not that kids would be interested in playing classic arcade games in 2015.

Most people grow up and move on from silly arcade games but you go ahead if it makes you happy.

More adults play video games now than kids. I'm just wondering if nostalgia for classic games is enough to make a venue devoted to them a viable proposition.

I like the idea of playing Galaga again outside of MAME on my PC but aren't the ROMs to some of those games still closely protected by their original authors like Namco. I thought that's why they are so hard to come by these days (i downloaded my set way back in the 90s).

Given the current obsession with 70s / 80s nostalgia it could work (just to give an example the vinyl record shop in Walkley is just about to move to a bigger premises to meet demand)

Just been watching "King of Kong" and came up with this idea. A classy venue selling selected alcoholic drinks/coffee filled with about 20-30 classic video game cabinets, Space Invaders, Pacman, Centipede, Galaxians, Donkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, maybe up to and including games from the early 90s like Street Fighter II. Would it be viable? Adults only, no kids allowed in, not that kids would be interested in playing classic arcade games in 2015.

Amusingly enough, i wrote a blog recently stating that if i won a decent amount of money, I would open an arcade with some old school cabinets. (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would HAVE to be included with how much I spent on that on holiday!)

More adults play video games now than kids. I'm just wondering if nostalgia for classic games is enough to make a venue devoted to them a viable proposition.

I would think that there wouldn't be enough custom in Sheffield for a regular day to day arcade, but it might work as a 'pop-up' type arcade.

Then you've got all the logistics about storing and transporting machines though...

... so it's got to be a no from me! :(

There is a bar In Falmouth (8 bit bar) which seems to be doing pretty well. They have plenty of machines, and also lots of special evenings with quizzes and multiplayer gaming etc.

They're a friendly bunch and I'm sure they'd give you some advice, as you're hardly competition in Sheffield.

As a business venture I'd imagine you'd need to be a successful bar first, arcade second, as it'd take a hell of a lot of 50ps in Gauntlet to pay the rent :)

Good luck though, I'd definitely be a regular.

It'd probably do really well on Division Street or on Kelham Island, perhaps even Broomhill.

You'd need a fair sized bar to put all of those machines in though, so it might be tough finding a place big enough in those areas.

I kind of like the idea of a retro common room type venue aimed at 30-40 year olds.

Somewhere a bit like Picture House Social - decent bar with real ales, craft beer and other nice booze, simple but decent quality food/snacks and a games room full of classic arcade games from the 80s, possibly also air hockey, table football and a tupenny cascade machine.

The Arcades Machines would be your USP, but probably not the thing that you'd make money out of. So you'd have to try to work out how to make money off the people once their on your premises.

I kind of like the idea of a retro common room type venue aimed at 30-40 year olds.

Somewhere a bit like Picture House Social - decent bar with real ales, craft beer and other nice booze, simple but decent quality food/snacks and a games room full of classic arcade games from the 80s, possibly also air hockey, table football and a tupenny cascade machine.

For us old gamers, what about a model railway of the 50's and parking for our Zimmer frames.

The Arcades Machines would be your USP, but probably not the thing that you'd make money out of. So you'd have to try to work out how to make money off the people once their on your premises.

You could rent the whole thing out to companies/private individuals with everything on free play. Make your money on the hire charge and the bar.