Cordless vacuum cleaners.

The EU manage to define size easily enough.

The wattage of cordless vacuum cleaners tends to be lower than that of normal vacuum cleaners – between 140 and 500 watts, as opposed to 2,200 watts for some corded vacuum cleaners.

The new EU vacuum cleaners energy label rules will reduce the maximum wattage from 1,600W to 900W for any vacuum cleaner manufactured or sold in the EU.

In practice, whether people will just get around the rules by buying commercial vacuums, might be the case.

Or we could get around the rules by leaving the EU!:o

That's power not size....I'm not sure what your point is.. could you clarify please?

If the battery powered vacuums have a much smaller motor, how can they be 'better'?

---------- Post added 18-10-2018 at 18:11 ----------

Or we could get around the rules by leaving the EU!:o

We may need to follow the same rules, in order to comply with our climate change laws and to have access to the single market.

If the battery powered vacuums have a much smaller motor, how can they be 'better'?.

Design? I had an old 2.0l diesel engined car..I now have a new 1.5 diesel engined car,it is by far better then the old one in terms of power and fuel efficiency...having had both an "ordinary" vacuum and a cordless I find the cordless much better..

Edited by truman

Design? I had an old 2.0l diesel engined car..I now have a new 1.5 diesel engined car,it is by far better then the old one in terms of power and fuel efficiency...having had both an "ordinary" vacuum and a cordless I find the cordless much better..

It was better because of advances over time, if battery powered vacuums are better, what ever tech makes them better can be used in the corded vacs.

It was better because of advances over time, if battery powered vacuums are better, what ever tech makes them better can be used in the corded vacs.

So you now accept that smaller can be better? There's no need for a bulky cleaner and cable to do the job.... I'm really not sure what the point you're trying to make is..no offence intended.. :)

So you now accept that smaller can be better? There's no need for a bulky cleaner and cable to do the job.... I'm really not sure what the point you're trying to make is..no offence intended.. :)

When the EU ban came in, their argument was that vacuums would need to be made better, not just a bigger motor.

Even in your example the difference is smaller; we will agree to differ.

When the EU ban came in, their argument was that vacuums would need to be made better, not just a bigger motor.

Even in your example the difference is smaller; we will agree to differ.

I'm still not sure what you mean but never mind... :)

Where they come in REALLY useful is for quick brush-ups, getting that bit of cat hair off the mat, picking those crumbs up off the sofa - the kind of thing where it takes a lot longer to unravel the cord than it does to actually do the cleaning.

This all the way.

"Oh there's fluff in the hallway?"

Quick 2 minute hoover, instead of unravelling all that cable, then hoovering, then reeling it all back in.

One word; convenience.

Shark DuoClean Cord-Free Vacuum, IF200UK = 300 watts

Dyson DC07 = 1400 watts.

So a much bigger difference than your 1500cc and 2000cc diesel engines.

Dyson DC07 = 1400 watts.

You're conflating power and effectiveness with size.....

Edited by truman

Dyson DC07 = 1400 watts.

You're comparing apples with oranges. The Shark is battery powered whereas the DC07 is mains.

I have a Shark DuoClean and it is leagues ahead of a Dyson V6 that we've used previously.

I have a Shark DuoClean and it is leagues ahead of a Dyson V6 that we've used previously.

So is the Dyson V10, if you really want to compares apples with apples.