Sentinel brewhouse and eatery

I thought this was a great place, but always felt the location was a problem. It's kind of hemmed in by major roads and no one really lives round there, nor is there a cluster of other places to bring people over.

If it had been located on say Division Street, it was 10 times the pub that Brewdog will ever be

Hmmm. If it were a truly great bar the location almost wouldn't matter. People would travel to it like they do to Magic Rock or Northern Monk. If it were on Division St yes they'd have more passing trade, but the rent would be a lot higher.

Hmmm. If it were a truly great bar the location almost wouldn't matter. People would travel to it like they do to Magic Rock or Northern Monk. If it were on Division St yes they'd have more passing trade, but the rent would be a lot higher.

True. The Grove and MR Tap are `not in the best areas` of Huddersfield. In fact the former was probably the only pub there that I never went in when i lived in the Hudd. :o

To be fair the Grove's environs have improved somewhat, now they've tarted the area up a bit for the new leisure centre. The Rat and Ratchet's area is still quite bleak!

As for Sentinel, I never really got on with the beers, although the venue and food were decent.

according to a post on Farcebook reopening soon. Unclear if sold or a phoenix job, but while Sentinel Brewhouses Ltd and Sentinel Brewing Company Ltd are in liquidation, Sentinel Brewery Holdings Ltd is not.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:07 PM, SteelCityAle said:

according to a post on Farcebook reopening soon. Unclear if sold or a phoenix job, but while Sentinel Brewhouses Ltd and Sentinel Brewing Company Ltd are in liquidation, Sentinel Brewery Holdings Ltd is not.

Reopened a couple of days ago. Looks to be a completely new venture as the director of the new company doesn't seem to have links with the previous Sentinel companies.

Walked past this place yesterday after the match. Surprised to say the least, chalkboard outside suggested reasonable prices

I could see what they wanted to do byput wasn't going to work.

Went a brewery tour a bit ago most of the beers we got tastings of were pretty rank to be honest, there were a few nice ones.

Glad to see prices have gone down, 4 quid upwards when spoons was selling Thier beers for nearer 2 quid was never going to work.

22 hours ago, Cade Foster said:

I could see what they wanted to do byput wasn't going to work.

Went a brewery tour a bit ago most of the beers we got tastings of were pretty rank to be honest, there were a few nice ones.

Glad to see prices have gone down, 4 quid upwards when spoons was selling Thier beers for nearer 2 quid was never going to work.

To be fair them selling to Wetherspoons cheaply was probably a last act of desperation to shift some beer!

On 9/13/2018 at 3:43 PM, SteelCityAle said:

Absolutely spot on Andy, sadly Sentinel fell between the two camps, providing neither 'market priced' session beer for the social drinkers nor exciting/stupidly unbalanced (delete according to viewpoint) beers to the beer geeks. The core beers were too expensive for the former and the specials were too mainstream for the latter.

That's a pretty good summary.  I used to go in a lot when it first opened.  They did a series of IPA's, using EU, US and UK hops, all slightly different, but all 6% plus and I thought they were good.  If that wasn't on though I didn't find the other stuff very inspiring.  

The thing that stopped me from going regularly was the bizarre opening times.  Sometimes I'd go down and they'd be closed of an evening for a private function.  I went in one night at about ten to nine and they were wiping everything down and said they were shut!  I never knew when they were going to be open.  So, I stopped bothering. 

I drove past last saturday lunchtime and the lights were on and they had a Christmas tree up.  Does this mean they are open again?

they've been open last couple of Saturdays, not sure about other times but been closed whenever I've walked past

2 hours ago, SteelCityAle said:

they've been open last couple of Saturdays, not sure about other times but been closed whenever I've walked past

What a strange place!  

I wish they'd just open like any normal pub, then we'd know where we stand.