1970s bands worth a revisit

Chicago's first album "Chicago transit authority"

"Long before their days as a huge power ballad band, Chicago managed to fuse pop, rock and jazz together perfectly. Led by the powerful pipes of Peter Cetera, the masterful guitar work of Terry Kath, the fantastic keyboard work and vocals of Robert Lamm and one hell of a brass section, the band managed to hit huge success. While they weren't doing anything that new - Blood, Sweat & Tears and The Ides of March were doing the same thing around that time as well - they were, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. However, as the '80s rolled around, the band found themselves moving towards a much lighter and much more commercial and less jazz-oriented sound and saw Bill Champlin's entrance into the band. Not too long after that, Cetera departed for a solo career and was replaced by his clone, Jason Scheff. The band had their moments here and there but, for the most part, became your typical '80s pop/rock outfit, losing touch with their original sound and having one of the biggest downfalls in music history. That being said, their '70s material is still worth seeking out, especially if you want to know if they are more than "You're the Inspiration" and "Hard to Say I'm Sorry"."

still got and play my copy ,younger rock fans may be surprised how fresh it still sounds today.

Edited by choogling

25 or 6 to 4. Think it was around 1964 I first heard CTA at the Youth Club.

25 or 6 to 4. Think it was around 1964 I first heard CTA at the Youth Club.

The single 25 or 6 to 4 was 1970 and off their 2nd double album - I think the CTA Album was released 1969 .

Edited by Longcol

Gong (Did a fair few during the 70s but these are the absolute classics Flying teapot, Angels egg, You)

Family

Hawkwind (did 9 albums during the 70s, all great in my book)

Motorhead (Motorhead, Overkill, Bomber are all bloody classics)

Gong (Did a fair few during the 70s but these are the absolute classics Flying teapot, Angels egg, You)

Family

Hawkwind (did 9 albums during the 70s, all great in my book)

Motorhead (Motorhead, Overkill, Bomber are all bloody classics)

Family - good shout Mel.

And don't forget Argent, Cockney Rebel, Alex Harvey Band and a small band called Queen. Saw them all at the City Hall in the 70s.

Be Bop Deluxe, any album you like. For a taster if you haven't heard of them, try Modern Music -

or Sister Seagull - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsqJ-7iCsc

(The album version of Modern Music is better by the way, it has a brilliant 'radio tuning through the stations' intro.)

Family - good shout Mel.

And don't forget Argent, Cockney Rebel, Alex Harvey Band and a small band called Queen. Saw them all at the City Hall in the 70s.

just seen the trailer for that new Queen film thats coming out

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 18:58 ----------

Maybe some classic Jean Michel Jarre?

just seen the trailer for that new Queen film thats coming out

Looks great. Do you know when it is out? Saw Queen and Adam Lambert recently. Brilliant but he is not Freddie Mercury.

Looks great. Do you know when it is out? Saw Queen and Adam Lambert recently. Brilliant but he is not Freddie Mercury.

not till October

Well I would have rooted for ELO, but Jeff Lynne has already done a brilliant job of bringing their stuff back to the attention of old and new fans alike in recent years. Another great one was Dire Straits. Both these bands were absolutely fantastic live.

---------- Post added 16-05-2018 at 19:44 ----------

Chicago's first album "Chicago transit authority"

"Long before their days as a huge power ballad band, Chicago managed to fuse pop, rock and jazz together perfectly. Led by the powerful pipes of Peter Cetera, the masterful guitar work of Terry Kath, the fantastic keyboard work and vocals of Robert Lamm and one hell of a brass section, the band managed to hit huge success. While they weren't doing anything that new - Blood, Sweat & Tears and The Ides of March were doing the same thing around that time as well - they were, in my opinion, the best of the bunch. However, as the '80s rolled around, the band found themselves moving towards a much lighter and much more commercial and less jazz-oriented sound and saw Bill Champlin's entrance into the band. Not too long after that, Cetera departed for a solo career and was replaced by his clone, Jason Scheff. The band had their moments here and there but, for the most part, became your typical '80s pop/rock outfit, losing touch with their original sound and having one of the biggest downfalls in music history. That being said, their '70s material is still worth seeking out, especially if you want to know if they are more than "You're the Inspiration" and "Hard to Say I'm Sorry"."

still got and play my copy ,younger rock fans may be surprised how fresh it still sounds today.

Talking about Terry Kath(RIP), Jimi Hendrix, of all people, told Bob Lamm when he was touring with Chicago, that Terry was, technically, the best jazz/rock guitarist in the World.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Be Bop Deluxe, any album you like. For a taster if you haven't heard of them, try Modern Music -

or Sister Seagull - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsqJ-7iCsc

(The album version of Modern Music is better by the way, it has a brilliant 'radio tuning through the stations' intro.)

the tony Wilson recreation of "a thousand stars" is well worth tracking down played on the alan freeman rock show bbc radio 1 1978 aug 26th last show.

I'd gone up to Newcastle for a wedding in 1970, went out on the town with some of the lads, there was a group playing in one of the pubs, my mate said the organist's a bit of a poser, I agreed and didn't think any more about it. Fast forward a couple of years and there on top of the pops is this same poser belting out Virginia Plain.

Been a Roxy Music fan since.