Bodmin St, anyone from there..

Hello everyone, I'm from Bodmin St' awhile back.. I went for a short time to huntsmen garden school...

my 2 brothers and sister who are older than me also went there ...

i was born 1947.. we lived at 95 bodmin st' my best friend was nancy wright ..

my neighbors were the duckers and the o' brians/ens..

i remember the rag n bone man coming round in summer mum would get cleaning stuff or the kids could get a book and when you painted it with water it use to change colour ,,or there was a ball filled with straw on a piece of thin elastic on a stick

...My best plaything was a whip and top i'd spend hours going from one end o street to other whipping the top so it would spin along ..The summers used to last forever ....we are the Hensman family ring any bells...

:wave: Where is everyone???Nancy if your a member or her sister Ann send me a PM, englishedith

Hi I didnt come from bodmin st.but francis st not far away, i also went to huntsmans gardens school,i was born in 1938,sargeant was my name i had relatives on titterton st,named harrisons. my favourite game was also playing with a whip and top, also sevens,all of us round that area used to spent hours playing ball games,hop scotch and plkaying with tar in the street. many many happy hours and not costing money. my top was from a tizer bottle plus a shoe string. hope these things bring back memories to someone. regards old_granny

hello there, we lived in bodmin street at no.33 next door to huntsmans gardens from 1933 to 1952 and remember all the places and people so far mentioned. I think mr skelton was the headmaster when I went to school and my favourite teacher was miss hoyle. can still remember the lovely fish and chips from ainsleys . my grandparents lived in treeton st and during the war they had the omnibus hotel which appears to have vanished . nice that the poms have at last got the ashes back.

love to hear from anyone from bodmin st.

gosling

Hello Englishedith/ I'm from Beall St (see the thread for that topic) and also born in '47. I remember Nancy Wright very well and I'm sure she'd remember me, Mick Redfearn. My best buddy was Chris(topher) Queenan who lived across the street from her. I had a thing with Linda Bamford who lived next door to Chris intermittently for several years. Also in their yard was the Wood family who had daughters that would be the same age. I caught up with the youngest Ken Wood through the Friends Reunited site some years ago - he moved to Australia a long time ago. If you can remember, Chris had a female cousin a few years older who lived across the street in the house with the gaslamp in front. Her name was Josie Anne Parker and she died young of some rare disease in the late 50's. She was a very popular girl. I also remember the Mason girl from the Huntsmans Gardens end of the street. Can you recall Glen Pickard who lived on the corner of Britnall St in that area? I had a very coincidental meeting with him here in northern British Columbia (where I now live) several years ago. Tell me if you know him and I'll tell you the story. Do you remember the Ashworth family who lived opposite the gate to the boys playground ? Mick would be the same age, but he had an older brother Gordon who had an extra finger on his left hand. Then there were the Averys a few door down from them. My dad used to refer to Mrs Avery as 'black diamond' because of the standard of living they existed in. Then there was Charnleys store with the 'knickerbocker glory' candy or whatever it was ? Love to know if you remember any of these guys.

Hello Mickr, we left 33,Bodmin Street, next to the school in 1952 and I remember the Ashworths,I think there were 2 girls in the family as well. I had a chuckle when I saw the name Avery, but that's another story. Didn't Charnley's have the shop at the bottom of Bodmin Street and Mrs. Northfield had one near Britnall Street.

:thumbsup:

Hi Gosling/ Yes Charnleys was at the Attercliffe Rd end of Bodmin St. There was a big archway and the door to the store was on your left. I don't know about any Mrs Northfield. The stores that I remember on Britnall St were Crookes corner store at the Shirland Lane junction, Battersbys that was really on Beall St and what was Senior's fish and chip shop across from the Travellers pub at Worksop Rd. Ainley's was certainly the best fish and chips for miles. Miss Hoyle was the headmistress when I was at Huntsmans Gardens. Didn't she used to chain-smoke Du Maurier cigarettes? As I recall there used to be a woman in what I think was your yard that kept pigs at some other location. We used to take all our potato and vegetable peelings to her in exchange for sweets. I've got involved on another thread to do with wooden block street surfacing. Didn't there used to be a short section of it at the Britnall St junction on the Attercliffe Rd side?

While I'm on here - did you have any luck finding Nancy Wright there Englishedith ? Also, for old-granny, my sister-in-law was brought up on Francis St but I don't remember the number. Her Name was Margaret Wright and she lived in the next yard to my uncle Arthur Perkins also on Francis St. Did you know any of them?

Hi Mickr,nice to meet somebody who remembers Miss Hoyle, I don"t remember her chain smoking, but I wouldn't blame her for that as some of the kids must driven her to it. I can only thank her for helping me to get into Abbeydale Grammar.

I can remember Crookes shop as my grandparents lived around the corner in Treeton St and my Dad's aunt and uncle lived in Francis St.

:clap: Hi Mickr and everyone,

Gosh you do have a good memory for names. Yes i do recall everyone you have mentioned,

You've got me wondering now, what's the gossip?

No i haven't had any luck with contacting Nancy.

I do remember if you walked from our house on the opposite side to the school before you got to the common wasn't there a sweet shop that had machines outside for penny bubblies ect and every 4th turn you got an xtra pkt. then if you walked around the corner ( i think) the chippy was there and you could ask for scrapps with your chips they always tasted yummy but i don't think we would think so nowadays::gag:

I'll have a look at the other threads as well while i'm on tonite .

EE.

Hi Mickr, I can't recall anyone with pigs. Our neighbours were the Smiths, Ratcliffes, Holts, Tosseanos, Rudges and I can't remember who lived in the last house. Across the road I remember the Haigs, Fenwicks, Sorsbys and Wallers. I had forgotten a lot of these until I read your post, so thanks for the memories:smile: I don't recall the wooden road blocks, but then again I probably wasn't interested at that time.

Old Granny, I remember playing with tizer tops and a piece of string, also digging out the tar and playing with that and throwing a rope over the lamp posts and swinging on it and also playing cricket in the middle of the road (no traffic in those days) and as you remark none of this cost us a penny Happy days:clap: Do you remember the fairs on the brick field ? We really looked forward to those.

Hello Englishedith/ I'm from Beall St (see the thread for that topic) and also born in '47. I remember Nancy Wright very well and I'm sure she'd remember me, Mick Redfearn. My best buddy was Chris(topher) Queenan who lived across the street from her. I had a thing with Linda Bamford who lived next door to Chris intermittently for several years. Also in their yard was the Wood family who had daughters that would be the same age. I caught up with the youngest Ken Wood through the Friends Reunited site some years ago - he moved to Australia a long time ago. If you can remember, Chris had a female cousin a few years older who lived across the street in the house with the gaslamp in front. Her name was Josie Anne Parker and she died young of some rare disease in the late 50's. She was a very popular girl. I also remember the Mason girl from the Huntsmans Gardens end of the street. Can you recall Glen Pickard who lived on the corner of Britnall St in that area? I had a very coincidental meeting with him here in northern British Columbia (where I now live) several years ago. Tell me if you know him and I'll tell you the story. Do you remember the Ashworth family who lived opposite the gate to the boys playground ? Mick would be the same age, but he had an older brother Gordon who had an extra finger on his left hand. Then there were the Averys a few door down from them. My dad used to refer to Mrs Avery as 'black diamond' because of the standard of living they existed in. Then there was Charnleys store with the 'knickerbocker glory' candy or whatever it was ? Love to know if you remember any of these guys.

I remember a lad with an extra finger when I was at Huntsmans, never knew his name though. We thought that he was really special. Frank