Sutherland Road Baths

Does anyone know when the baths were demolished or have any photos of either the inside or outside of the building?

I believe they were demolished in the 70s, our school {Shiregreen sec modern} used these baths for school sessions in the 50s @ 60s. We used to be marched to Firth Park to catch the tram to Gower St, then another route march to the baths.

We were given swimming lessons by a strict ex army type called Mr Scott, I wonder if anyone else remembers him?

Oh I remember him alright!!! Taught me to swim in about 5 metres, with fear and a lasoo.

:mad:

yes and me 2 i rember scotty he used to drag me with a length of rope with bunsen burner tube to protect my neck only had about 2 lessons!! then it was life saving we had to paddle warter for 10 mins with our pajamas on and had to retreave a rubber brick off the deep end floor :thumbsup:

That brings back memories! We used to go by bus from Longley Junior School. I remember the smell of the coke and the boilers we passed on the way to the door. I remember Mr Scott, put the fear of God into me. What is it about swimming instructors of that era, they all seem to have frightened kids into swimming!

Mr Scott used to come to our school to give life saving lessons, remember the "Holger Nielson method", we had to practise this in the school hall, then try it out next time we went to the baths. One memory of us all travelling on the tram, was asking if we could have the tickets, a roll of thirty penny ones!

Another memory which springs to mind, anyone remember the Brylcreem dispenser, which gave a dollop for a penny?

I remember Mr Scott teaching us to swim from school, he was a bit of a bully if I remember right. sometimes if he got out of bed on the wrong side he would push us under the water in the deep end with a broom stick and hold us on the bottom for Ten minuets

Originally posted by little malc

Another memory which springs to mind, anyone remember the Brylcreem dispenser, which gave a dollop for a penny?

There was also one in Heeley Baths....used it too when I was a vain teenager :D

Wish I still had all that hair, - where'd it go ?? :suspect:

Mr Scott has been discussed recently on several threads. I was taught to swim by the sinister, bespectacled Scott, with his penchant for hurling the timid into the fathoms of the 'Deep End'. I do not recall the 'Holger Neilson' technique, little malc? Are you sure that you are not getting it mixed up with the 'Heinrich Himmler' method? I remember the perfectly dreadful man as having an intense dislike of children, and a sadistic desire to bully them. As recalled on other threads, legend has it that the father of a Concord Middle School pupil exacted revenge upon Scott by throwing him into the baths, fuly clothed. I sincerely hope this is true. Damn his eyes!

The Holger Nielson life saving method was where you laid the victim on his tum, then kneeling at his head lifted his arms up and down after you had placed his head on his hands. I think this action was suposed to pump water from the lungs!

Never had to practise for real thank god, so no idea if it worked, we were certainly not taught the mouth to mouth method at school, I don't think it had been invented then.

For all "Scotty's" fierceness, I supose we aught to be grateful that at least we can all swim, I can certainly remember the bristle end of the broom when I started flagging on my first length.

I think his swimming method was the "frighten the buggers to death" method, you did'nt dare fail!

I should be able to swim faster now, no hair to cause drag ha! ha!

I remember Mr Scott teaching us to swim from school, he was a bit of a bully if I remember right. sometimes if he got out of bed on the wrong side he would push us under the water in the deep end with a broom stick and hold us on the bottom for Ten minuets

I remember the evil Mr Scott i had one lesson then went in hospital and had my tonsils out then the next time at the baths a few weeks later put me in the deep end and held me away from the side with the famous sweeping brush till i nearly drowned that was my last lesson my parents taught me after that.

I too enroled for Scotties life saving class. For some reason a load of us from Owler Lane had to go to Shiregreen School for the first lesson. As soon as he started talking I thought, "what have I let myself in for" Luckily for me, I was a few days too young to take part. I never did go back. A bit later , I learned to life save in the Boys Brigade and can still remember how to do the Holger Nielson method.