Shifts for Nurses and Medical Staff Sheffield Hospitals

Hi can someone tell me about the common shift patterns for nurses and other medical staff in Sheffield hospitals, is there a standard rigid shift pattern or is there some flexibility in times e.g to start or finish 15 to 30 minutes earlier or later than the standard times? Thanks.

Edited by Zaphod

NHS staff start taking up the available parking places on my street as early as 6:45am for a possible 7am start at the NGH.

They’re often there until 6pm, however I did see the same staff member return to their car as late as 8pm several times in the same week. I asked why and they said they were supposed to have finished a couple of hours earlier, but had too much paperwork to do.

Hope this helps :)

Hi can someone tell me about the common shift patterns for nurses and other medical staff in Sheffield hospitals, is there a standard rigid shift pattern or is there some flexibility in times e.g to start or finish 15 to 30 minutes earlier or later than the standard times? Thanks.

Good luck with that one! The only flexibility is if it suits management or you have to work way beyond your finnish time!

NHS staff start taking up the available parking places on my street as early as 6:45am for a possible 7am start at the NGH.

They’re often there until 6pm, however I did see the same staff member return to their car as late as 8pm several times in the same week. I asked why and they said they were supposed to have finished a couple of hours earlier, but had too much paperwork to do.

Hope this helps :)

If they work at the NGH can't they park within there ?

Some of the nursing staff work a 24 hour shift, like the one I was speaking to yesterday, and they have to cover three hospitals.

If they work at the NGH can't they park within there ?

They can, but they have to pay for it

I was in NGH last week and the nursing staff did 12 hour shifts starting at 7. A couple of the regular ones looking after me mentioned that they were due 3 days off. Maybe they do a 4 on 3 off type of rota.

Some of the nursing staff work a 24 hour shift, like the one I was speaking to yesterday, and they have to cover three hospitals.

On call I guess ?

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 11:06 ----------

They can, but they have to pay for it

They can apply and pay for a parking permit but are not guaranteed a parking space - they then have to pay and display if they can find a space.

Not everyone qualifies for a staff parking permit - the criteria for getting one is bizarre - I think it depends on who you know.

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 11:07 ----------

I was in NGH last week and the nursing staff did 12 hour shifts starting at 7. A couple of the regular ones looking after me mentioned that they were due 3 days off. Maybe they do a 4 on 3 off type of rota.

Many ward based nurses now work 3 X 12 hour shifts a week.

Some wards still use the 3 shift system to cover any gaps in the service.

Also depends what area you work. I know OPD nurses/CSW who start marginally later, don't work weekends, but one OPD I know finishes around 8:30pm so all dependant on what area you are on and the needs of the department.

Obviously the one who don't work weekends etc don't get enhancements to their pay.(unsocial hours etc)

On call I guess ?

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 11:06 ----------

They can apply and pay for a parking permit but are not guaranteed a parking space - they then have to pay and display if they can find a space.

Not everyone qualifies for a staff parking permit - the criteria for getting one is bizarre - I think it depends on who you know.

---------- Post added 29-09-2018 at 11:07 ----------

Many ward based nurses now work 3 X 12 hour shifts a week.

Some wards still use the 3 shift system to cover any gaps in the service.

That maybe, but they are still in the hospital on duty.

That maybe, but they are still in the hospital on duty.

They are in the hospital but not necessarily working..

That's what on call means

They can sleep and relax when they aren't needed and get paid extra on top of their normal rate of pay

Edited by Daven