Capel street hillsborough

My grandparents and my great aunt and uncle once rented a house on capel street in the early 1950's. My great aunt told us last week that the house used to be a public house called the 'soldiers return' however, i have searched through the internet and cannot find anything with that name, but she is adamant there was and had a huge cellar. Anyone know anything or where i could look?

Didn't Capel Street used to be Montagu Road? My grandparents lived on that for years til it was all demolished

Didn't Capel Street used to be Montagu Road? My grandparents lived on that for years til it was all demolished

No, I don't think so. Capel Street is still there. The Masons Arms pub is known as the Capel.

The only ever pub called the Soldiers Return in Sheffield was on Water Lane at West Bar.The Masons is the only ever pub to stand on Capel St.

Yes, Montagu Road is now called Capel Street at it's junction with Langsett Road.

Capel Street ran from Langsett Rd., did a little jog around Blackburn Rd. towards the barracks, and then down to Penistone Rd. Don't know what it's like now as It's 10 years since I was back there. My mother lived on Capel Street when she was young, and I had a girlfriend on Blackburne Rd.

Yes, Montagu Road is now called Capel Street at it's junction with Langsett Road.

---------- Post added 05-04-2014 at 19:58 ----------

[/color]Use link below to access picture Sheffield. Search Capel street and Montagu Road, there are several photos of that area.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/

Edited by bazjea

Capel Street ran from Langsett Rd., did a little jog around Blackburn Rd. towards the barracks, and then down to Penistone Rd. Don't know what it's like now as It's 10 years since I was back there. My mother lived on Capel Street when she was young, and I had a girlfriend on Blackburne Rd.

Montagu Road, Langsett Road to Blackburne Street link to 1903 map and it was still called Montagu Road in 1965.

:)