6ct gibralter st was it a childrens home

looking for a grave on the indexers and when i looked at same houshold there were a lot of young children and babies who died at 6ct gibralter st was it a home /hospital .

looking for a grave on the indexers and when i looked at same houshold there were a lot of young children and babies who died at 6ct gibralter st was it a home /hospital .

looking at roots my grand's died 45&46 (Roterham)only 50% of children made :mad: it 4 never did the 1900's was not a good time to be born

Were they roughly a year apart ?

It was common for a woman to give birth yearly and also common for the child to die before they were 5 years old - especially in the Gibraltar Street area which was very heavily populated and poverty stricken:(

There also could have been more than one family living at that address so increasing the number of deaths recorded.

A court is more than one house. When the burial entries don't specify which house, the search engine at Indexers will lump them all together.

One of the burials says '6ct 16h' - house 16 in court 6, so this is a big court!

Looking at the 1890 map at http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ this is in fact the yard behind the Old Cherry Tree Pub. At the back of the yard is the Ebenezer Works facing Russell St. Down one side is the Russell Roller Mills ('corn').

All-in-all it looks like an unhealthy place to live, with beer and industry on the doorstep - quite a Dickensian scene in fact.

Hugh

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 11:00 ----------

If you PM me an email address I will send you a snip of the 1890 map.

On a 1950's map the pub (not labelled) is shown as 182 Gibraltar Street, the interior of the court has been cleared. The word 'ruins' is scattered about. The Russell Mill is now a 'pickle works'.

Hugh